Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crossover in FX loop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lockout, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Is it possible to run the effects send into one side of a crossover, into an effect, and back to the effects return?

I was thinking about running an effect through my preamp's effects loop so I can control it with the blend control, but I want part of the frequency range to remain un-effected no matter where I have the blend set.

Will this work the way I want it to? Or will I run into problems?

2. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    What amp do you want to do this with?

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I'd be doing this with my Aguilar DB680 preamp.

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I can see it working if you have a stereo fx return. If not, you'd have to recombine the effected and clean (xovered) tones first. Also, I'm not clear on what you mean by "into one side" of the xover. That input should be mono.

5. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    It would work. But as you blend towards the effect you'll lose the uneffected frequency range. That is if I understand your hook-up correctly.

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Er... Sorry. I meant taking the signal from one output of the crossover.

Though now that I think about it, I could go from the FX send of my preamp to the crossover input, and since my DB680 has a stereo FX return, I could run the un-effected portion of the signal from the crossover straight to one of the returns. Then I could stick the effect between the other crossover output and into the remaining FX return.

Think that would work?

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, that's what I would do.

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't understand the benefit of this.

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I think it's a good idea, and would try it if I had a stereo fx loop. There are many fx that fail because they screw w/ your low end. With a xover in the loop, you can have only the highs affected and keep your lows clean. It would enable you to use all those guitar pedals that suck low end.

10. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I'm actually thinking of doing the opposite. :D

I don't know if this will give me the results I'm looking for, but I was thinking of using a bass overdrive pedal of some kind to slightly overdrive the mids/lows of my signal while keeping the top end clean. I have always hated the sound of bass overdrive affecting the higher frequency range, but I like the growl and slight grit of the overdriven lower mid/bass range, especially how it sounds in the mix.

I'm basically trying to get a sound somewhat similar to Tim Commerford of RATM/Audioslave, but without that clanky top end. I probably won't get exactly what I'm imagining, but I figure it's worth a shot. :smug:

11. I used to use this set up all the time = bass into SWR and in the FX loop - Ibanez 7 band EQ into Zoom 9002 multi FX - I could set up the eq to either boost loows and take away highs or boost highs and take away lows and then put a chorus, distortion, compressor, etc. on whatever frequency bands I wanted and then mix in the FX loop with the blend control on the front of the amp. at 50%/50% neither signal was taken away so all my original highs, mids and lows were still there.

Same idea as a crossover just with -15db instead of totally out. This was done in a mono set up, I didn't use the stereo returns on the amp.