1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crossover Issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Hey. I have a Peavey Firebass Head and until recently I only had one cab, so I never bothered with the crossover outs on the head. Thing is, I'm getting a 1x15 to add to my 2x10 and so I thought, hey, I'll try the crossover. So, I plugged my speaker cab into the high output of the crossover and nothing came out...I fiddled with the settings and still nothing...

SO I guess my question is: Is my head ****ed up, or do both cabs have to be plugged in to both outs? I have no ide whats going on...

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I don't know that model but a lot of Peavey heads have a crossover built in but only a single power amp. The crossover output is at the 1v level to drive an external power amp.

3. This answers your question. Some of the newer Peavey heads only have a single amplifier. Your cross-over function will only work if you're sending your "high" signal to a different amp and cab. On your particular head I believe that you would need a separate amplifier to drive the highs only, then the internal amplifier (on your head) would be dedicated to the lows. The cross-over will adjust the point at which the signal (the one sent to another amp) is split. You wouldn't want to go much higher then 125-135 on the cross-over if you're going into a 15. You might also want to turn off the tweeter if the cab (15) has one.

4. Ya, thats all true, I'm a fool, sorry for disturbing you.