crossover needed???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dbgor2308, May 12, 2003.

1. dbgor2308

Nov 18, 2002
    OK...Here's the rig I have: GK 400RBIII with a Behringer MDX 2200 compressor. I use the compressor to even the highs and lows out and have it set on some suggestions that I found on TB. I am pretty much happy with the compressor settings, seeing as I know one can either hamper or improve your sounds. My problem is lows are too muddy. I dont want to mess with the compressor settings. The cabinet I am using is an old peavey 4x10 with a crappy sounding tweeter in the middle. Now here's my thoughts: I am gonna get rid of the Peavy cab and purchase a 2x10 and a 1x15 from Avatar. Will a good crossover help with the muddy lows or can I get a good sound running the cabinets seperatley from each speaker jack in the back. I am kinda new to the bass tone thing as I started off on the guitar and know how to get a good sound with those rigs. Any suggestions?

2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    interesting - bump
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    to run a crossover, you'd need 2 amps. The crossover will split your signal into 2 seperate signals, one containing highs, the other containing lows. Each sinal needs a seperate amplification source.

I wouldn't bother. With the new cabs you're looking, there will be a certain amount of natural frequency filtering going on anyway, so your sound should improve. By that I mean that the 15 will handle the bottoms better than your current cab so you may even be able to roll off some lows on the amp but still get a nice strong sounding bottom end. At the same time, the 2x10 is getting fed a signal with the lows cut and should therefore deliver a nice punchy sound. Together they'll provide a nice frequency spread.

If you're still not happy, I think your sound could be better served with a decent EQ.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i tend to agree with petebass
    most times i like the sound of mixed cabs when they are run full range, in fact a dude at swr once told me that's the way most of them liked the cabs (even when using a 410 and a 118)
    using a crossover can be interesting but if your cabinet for the lows produces muddy lows, it will do it run crossed over or full range
    ditch the peavey and check out some quality speakers
  5. Yeah..a good set of speakers will go a long way. Interesting that so many players no prefer to pass on using x-overs. I thought they were crucial back in the late I much prefer the clear, focussed tone of identical drivers run full-range. I kinda think there is something to be said for cabs with the same array; proper phase aliignment or something? This way, all the sound waves reach you at the same time, not slower or faster as you may find with an 18" and a 10" for example. a BBE can even this issue out quite nicely.
  6. dbgor2308

Nov 18, 2002
    Thanks guys.......lots of helpful more you run one cab out of each output or run one cab off another (parallel?)?

7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Either way. It provides the exaxt same sound and nominal impedance.