1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

crossover pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Aug 18, 2012.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Just curious if something like this exists: A pedal that splits its outputs with an adjustable crossover. I want to be able to affect my low and high strings differently on my 6, since I play alot of chords with walking bass lines. If this exists, it seems like the simplest way to do this, rather than going Charlie Hunter style with separate pickups/outputs from the instrument.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated. thx

2. If you want to effect strings separately, you'll need a rather special bass with separate pickups and the appropiate lead.
    If you want a frequency-based crossover (which is what I understood), [SFX] Sound is the only manufacturer I can think of that does one, though I'm 100% sure there are others.

3. Low_blow

Low_blow

May 14, 2005
    Though, it's not just a crossover, but I use FEA Labs Dual-Band Compressor which has a built-in crossover. I usually set it to moderate ratio (about 2 or 3:1), so it doesn't color my sound. Transparent sound within the entire range from low B to high C.
    I found that using Dual-Band compressor with separate Gain controls for Low and Hi bands suits 6-string bass better than regular comps. It has separate outputs for Hi/Low bands.
    http://fealabs.com/products/

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I've heard great things about fea and sfx. The comp would be cool, I wonder if it would work for my needs with its discreet hi and lo outputs.

That sfx might also do the trick. Rolls also makes a unit that might do it.

I don't want to separate by strings, but I do want to separate by frequency. That way no matter what position you're playing a given chord in, it's separating bass note from chord notes.

5. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I don't think you'll be able to separate roots from chords per se. The majority of what you hear of any given note is overtones so even if you try to split your instrument's range you'll end up with the overtones of your root notes on the high side and quite possibly the fundamental of many of your chord tones on the low side. The result may work fine but it won't be a surgical separation of your fretboard by any means.