1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

crossover question for bi-amping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by plowboy, Apr 29, 2006.

1. plowboy

plowboy

Apr 24, 2006
    I have a Peavey XR800 stereo 210 Watt/ch mixer with a pair of the Peavey PR12 full-range speakers. I'm wanting to run the bass through it and the PR12's won't cut it, so I'm looking at bi-amping. This would allow me to use one channel for the mids and highs, the other channel for the monitor, and an extra power amp for the sub woofer. The trouble is, all the in/out patchs on the XR800 are 1/4 inch phone plug whereas Peaveys two-way active crossover (PV23XO) only uses XRL connectors. It's obvious that this powered mixer was never meant to be bi-amped, but nevertheless, I would like to do it anyway. This would allow me to utilize the cheaper PR12's for mids and highs without selling them and repurchasing expensive equipment. If I have this figured out right, all I need is a a low-end crossover, a 200 Watt power amp, and a sub. I've even thought of using the Aggie GS112 which would also allow me to use this cab on bass alone if the PA wasn't being used. If anyone has any ideas about the XRL and 1/4 plug problem, I would appreciate it.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Just find an x/o with 1/4 inchers, they're out there.

3. plowboy

plowboy

Apr 24, 2006
    thanks. I had just assumed peavey, but the DOD 835 is perfect.