1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

crossover question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MuzikMan, Jul 11, 2005.

1. I wan't to install a 2 way crossover in my 2x12 - 2x6 cab. All four drivers are 8 ohms and it is currently wired to be a 4 ohm cab. Can I buy a 1.6khz @8ohm crossover to get a crossover point of 800hz with this cab?

2. cirwin

cirwin

May 2, 2005
    There's something wrong here. There is no way I know of that four 8 ohm drivers can be connected to get a 4 ohm cabinet. Also, if you want an 800 Hz crossover, you need to buy or build an 800 Hz crossover, not a 1.6 kHz crossover.

Charlie Irwin

3. I wasn't clear on my original post. My current configuration consist of the 2x12s wired in parallel full range and the 2x6s wired in parallel crossed over @3khz with a simple cap. I wish to use a 2 way crossover to keep a nominal impedance of 4 ohms. It is my understanding that a ready made crossover for an 8 ohm cab will work for a 4 ohm cab but at a different crossover point.

I believe I am right but I want to verify that a 1.6khz 8 ohm crossover will move to 800hz in a 4ohm cab. :D

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No, it doesn't work that way. Build a crossover from scratch, get the component values, and a tutorial on how crossovers work, here: http://www.lalena.com/audio/calculator/xover/

and components here: http://www.partsexpress.com/

5. Ok I can see I was way off :crying: . My theory was based on the idea that a simple first order high pass filter cap could be calculated for a 4 or 8ohm load. I can see that it is not that simple AND my thinking was backwards to top it off! (tail behind legs)...........YIPE YIPE YIPE! :meh:

Thank for the help and links. I will roll my own. The worst part of this is I already had those links and I didn't use them before posting.