Crossover questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peteroberts, Mar 17, 2003.

1. I just got a Grand Prix pre, and am putting a Crown CE 1000 behind it. I ran just plain stereo full range today and it sounded great (and loud!). I'm going to try bridged mono later today. I also want to experiment w/bi-amping, but have only found stereo 2-way/mono 3-way crossovers (rack mountable).

My question is this, is it OK to use just one side (ch 1) of a stereo crossover? Or should I use both (my Grand Prix has 2 output jacks), and mono-sum the LF and use ch 2 for the highs? I'm unfamiliar w/crossover operation and any help would be appreciated.

I think what I want to do is mono 2-way?
  2. Yes, it is ok to use one channel of a crossover.

Set up the Crown power amp for stereo operation (not parallel, not bridged).

Take one output from the GranPrix preamp, plug into one channel input of the crossover.

Take the high freq. output of the crossover and plug into ch A of the Crown, then plug that power amp channel's output into whichever speaker you're using for highs.

Take the low freq. output of the crossover and plug into ch B of the Crown, then plug that power amp channel's output into whichever speaker you're using for lows.

There, you're running mono 2-way biamped.

3. it's no different, then, just using one of the preamp outputs, as opposed to both?
  4. You'll want to use one (full range) output from the GranPrix to feed the xover. And just so I understand you preamp's rear panel better:

When you say both outputs, could you please explain:

Are they labeled as "A" and "B", or "1" and "2", or "bal" and "unbal", or something else???

Not familiar with the GranPrix's rear panel.:confused:
  5. I looked it up in the manual and it says it 'provides 2 outputs (unbal preamp out) in case you have 2 mono amps or if there is no mono input to your amplifier' I will use just one of the outputs for biamping, go into channel 1 of the xover, and feed the Crown w/the outputs from ch1 of the crossover. thanks for your help
  6. You're welcome.:)

Hope the rig sounds good for you!!!:D

I'd like to own a GrandPrix someday. How do you like it?
  7. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    If you need an inexpensive 2 way crossover you may want to take a look at the Rolls SX-21.

I have been using one for about a year (replacing a stereo 1-rack space crossover).

I like it because it is 1) small and 2) the crossover frequency can be set to 50hz.
    I set the crossover at either 75hz or 100hz depending on the cabinets I use.

There are number of rack crossovers on the market that only go down to 100hz. Many Bass preamp crossover don't even go down to 100hz.
    With extended range instruments (5,6,7 or more strings), the lows can really eat up power and a lower crossover point helps.
    Most "full range" Bass Cabs are able to produce frequencies down to at least 60hz, so they work fine for the high channel with a xover frequency of 60hz-100hz. Cabs that produce frequecies below 41hz (Low E) are usually large or not very efficient (low sensitivity). These cabs can benefit from a xover frequency set below 100hz.
  8. the Grand Prix sounds great!!! I recorded with it last night, very flexible and hi-fi.

I bought a dbx 223 so bi-amping will begin when it gets here...