Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crossover?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Mar 30, 2001.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Hey, I'm a dufus. What's the advantage of using a crossover and how would you go about using it?

I tried fooling around with it by plugging my cabs into it, but got little sound at a very high volume...

My head I'm using is a Peavey Firebass.

Do I need an external poweramp to use this feature?

Thanks.

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Within a cab, a crossover would send the signal to speakers or a tweeter for example.

The point is to send lows to a cab (or speaker within a cab) that handles lows better and highs to a cab (or speaker within a cab) that handles highs better.

Typically you get a 2x10 or a 4x10 for your highs and a 1x15 or a 1x18 for your lows, then use the crossover to send the signal to the apporpriate place.

Related to this is biamping which pretty much does the same thing. If your amp supports biamping you send one signal to your low cab and a seperate one to your high cab.

I guess with the crossover you have just one signal and it decides where to send it.

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    In my crossover I have a "Low" and a "High" Crossover, I'm guessing for frequencies. I'm not familiar with how to use a crossover... When I plugged my speaker cabs into it before, it did next to nothing. (I had to turn my amp's volume to 10 and pregain to 10 to get any sort of volume)

To use this feature would I an external poweramp?
    I'm aware you need an external poweramp with bi-amping... And I don't intend on bi-amping... But why would I not be getting hardly any sound when I plug my cabs into the crossover jacks? Am I missing something?

Thanks...

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Then I think the signal out from those jacks are about as strong as the line out. I.e. you need an external power amp to hear them. A line out signal isn't nearly enough to drive a speaker!

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    In my crossover I have a "Low" and a "High" Crossover, I'm guessing for frequencies. I'm not familiar with how to use a crossover... When I plugged my speaker cabs into it before, it did next to nothing. (I had to turn my amp's volume to 10 and pregain to 10 to get any sort of volume)

Gotcha.... I don't know why your signal would be attenuated so much. It should still work even if you plugged the speakers in the wrong jacks (it would just sound bad)...

To use this feature would I an external poweramp?

Where are you getting your signal from? Is it a speaker out or a line out? My understanding of it is that the line out would require a power amp and the speaker out would not.

What amp are you using and what crossover? Some of the techies here would probably know right away if you listed those.

6. What Oysterman said.

Those aren't powered outputs. They're line level signals meant to feed to separate power amps.

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm using a Peavey Firebass II 700

In the instruction manual it doesn't go into detail at all with the crossover...

"Use this jack to route the signal to an external power amp or to the power amp input of the FireBass 700 when signal seperation is desired"

In that, I assumed it could use the poweramp in my head, and it would just route the power frequencies differently...

Is there some trick to this? Or am I totally missing something?

I'm plugging my 1x15 into the "Low X-over out" and my 4x10+tweeter into the "High X-over out" but getting a very faint sound.

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I see it as you can only use the poweramp in your head for one part of the splitted signal, high or low. Connect a cable to your high or low output and insert into your poweramp in. This will split the signal at the crossover and give you one part to the amp. To power the other part, you need an extra power amp.

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I guess a problem could exist where some x-overs are not made to handle high powered signals.

But if we were to assume that yours could handle that then you use the speaker out jack and send your whole signal through it (bridged or whatever) to the x-over ... then the x-over would divide the signal into highs and lows and send the appropriately to the high or low cabs. Then it would seem to work without a power amp.

I don't know if this is feasible... just an idea.

If the x-over can't handle high power then it would seem that no matter what you do you need to amplify your signal after it.

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Probably not. How could you possibly run a super-hot signal into the FB crossover? Through which jack?

The FireBass isn't biampable in itself, AFAIK. I think the crossovers exist if you would like to use the FB preamp as a preamp, and use the FB poweramp as ONE of the TWO poweramps (or channels of a poweramp, whatever) necessary.
    Seems like a pretty meanless feature to me... it apparently only confuses everyone. :oops:

Bah, I hate Peavey. Sorry.

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Okay, I understand.... the peavey, not specfically made for biamping has one power amp already, so you pull the signal off, divide it into highs and lows, send one of the signals back for power amping and you need one more power amp for the other side.

Gotcha on the signal too hot thing... I am sure those would have to be some hellacious components to take that pounding. My amp does biamping... but it does have 2 power amps.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is a feature:rolleyes: on a lot of Peavey models, including my 20+ year old TNT 130 combo. It has a built in crossover, but to biamp you need a separate power amp.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Tonally, for what you like C-Eye, id say youd be much better of just not worrying about it and running mono. Thats just my opinion though.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    My sound is fine, It's just that I'm curious as to what it would sound like...