Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

crossover ??????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sbskates, Dec 28, 2004.

1. sbskates

sbskates

Jun 13, 2004
    in waht instance would i need a crossover if i built a cab or put speakers in an empty one?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You should use a crossover anytime you have different drivers for different frequency ranges.

3. sbskates

sbskates

Jun 13, 2004
    so if i bought two of the same speakers and loaded them in a cab
    sme model specs etc it wouldnt need a crossover

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    right
    there are 2 types of crossovers
    active crossovers which are available alone or as part of an amp. they split the signal by frequency. the seperate signals then get sent to seperate power amps and speakers.

passive crossovers are used inside cabinets. they take the signal from a power amp and split the signal by frequency to be sent to different drivers in the cabinet. Two way crossovers are used in cabinets with one or more of the same diameter speaker (10's,12's 15's etc.) and a smaller size driver or a horn. Some cabs have 3 way passive crossovers to send lows to one speaker (like a 15), mids to another speaker (like a 6), and highs to another (like a horn tweeter).
    As long as youre using one type of speaker in your cab (liek two 10" drivers) you don't need a crossover.

5. sbskates

sbskates

Jun 13, 2004
    thank you! fror the help

6. scraig

scraig

Apr 15, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    My experience with PA sound is that subs with crossovers sound cleaner - no mud. I would assume similar with bass cabs. Also speakers can be damaged by sending the frequencies our of the speaker’s range.