Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, May 30, 2002.

1. OK, people...I'm perplexed....I'm looking at putting a 2x10 on my 18" and running it with my Hartke3500, but I can't run it full range b/c most won't handle my 5er....So, My older brother(speaker design type, electronically expierenced) said using an in-line crossover would undo my problem if I install it to the jack out to, or the speaker cab itself...What frequency would I need to block out, I've seen 80hz, 100hz, 200hz, 300hz and others, about what should I try and buy?
  2. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    If you just want to protect the 2x10 from the low low stuff, 80Hz would work.
  3. 60 -80hz Get one of the whizs around here to compute the tuned frequency of the cab and work from there. I think using a crossover this way makes a lot more sense than using it to cut the highs to a sub.
  4. The sub will handle highs, the 2x10 won't handle the lows that I want...I don't think there's a 2x10 made(In My pricerange) that will work with my 5er.
  5. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    whats your pricerange?
    i have a hartke 2.5XL that handles a low b no problem, theyre spec'd to handle 30Hz. not that thats whats important. theres a guy on here running a 5er thru an EA VL108(single 8"), if i remember right, and he has no problems with it, and i seem to remember that cabinet being spec'd at 58Hz or somewhere thereabouts.
  6. If I'm buying the 2x10, about 250, but I'm looking to match sizes with my 18" bottom, and If I can't I'll just build the 2x10, matching it, and tuning the box to roll off at about 80hz....
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    (not sure if this is what you meant, but just in case) - tuning the box to roll off at 80Hz won't protect it from signals below that. On the contrary, it'll make it much more damageable by them since the cones will be free to move without the springiness of the air in the box to support them. But if you meant that in conjunction with an 80Hz high-pass crossover, then never mind. :)