Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crossovers and Impedence

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Aug 15, 2002.

1. OK...I don't exactly get it, but I've looked at sites like Carvin, and for example the crossover from the RL210 says 400W @ 4 Ohms, does the speaker impedence determine this, or is it the crossovers impedence and cannot be changed....Also does horn impedence matter?And if it was run @ upwards of 400W would it fry the crossover?

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It's the impedance the speakers (both low and high frequency) must have for the crossover to function properly. If you used it with 8-ohm speakers (or any other rating, really), it would be *way* off.

Can you post a link to the part of the Carvin site you're referring to, just to be sure I understand what you mean? I don't see the RL210 crossover listed.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hmm yeah - and the desc. also says "L-Pad", where the pic shows some switches of some sort. :confused: I'd contact Carvin and make sure what you're getting before ordering, if you do.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I ordered that part as an 8 ohm crossover, but recieved a 4 ohm, when I asked they told me they dont have an 8 ohm version.

They refunded the money when they realized their mistake, but I would still reommend checking with them first.

Peace
    Nick