Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crossovers, and where to buy them.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Apparently my head's crossover needs a ****ing separate poweramp, sooo: Can I buy an external crossover that I plug my amp into and it sends the highs to one cab, and the lows to another?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I suppose you could find one or rob it from a speaker cabinet. It will probably cost you more and achieve less than using what you currently own. You could probably buy a small power amp used for the same money and have a more flexible solution (since passive crossovers soak up power). It's a much better plan to split your signal while it's small (1v) instead of trying to do it when it's hotter (speaker level 10-50v).

Caution: You can blow up something if you don't bother to read the ****ing instructions with the amp. I mention this because I get the impression you didn't read the instructions about the crossover from Peavey.

An easy solution is to use a small guitar/keyboard combo for the highs. Ideally, you want to take the signal out of the crossover for highs and feed that into the effects loop section of a small combo (a lot of effects loops run at 1v). The regular instrument input is likely way too sensitive and you could break something.

This allows you to experiment without spending much money. Biamping is a swell trick, but it doesn't make things louder; it just keeps nasty signals from hurting speakers they weren't designed for. Cleaner, maybe; louder- no.

3. I boguht the Peavey second hand, hence no manual. I apologise for my incopetancy with amplification, but I've concentrated on actually PLAYING the instrument..

4. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    Then why do you want to bother with biamping ?

5. I'm gonna start playing gigs...And my 2x10 only takes 50Hhz and higher...My 1x15 can go down to 32Hz..So it makes sense no?

I might not have ****loads of experience, but I'm not deaf and I can hear my 2x10 farting at high volumes when I give that Low B a nice whallop...

6. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    The source of the farting is most likely your amp, not your cab.
    99% of people here will tell you it's not worth to biamp cabs.
    Get a second cab first - you'll probably find out you don't need a crossover.

7. My amp is more than capable of doign what I'm doing now. I guess I just expect too much out of budget GK cabs...Anyway, I'll wait till I get my 1518 (TE) and then we'll talk.

8. Your head already has a cross-over built in to it. A cross-over works by splitting a signal (the one from your bass/pre-amp) at a desired frequency. The two signals will then need to be seperately amplified by two different amplifiers (or a stereo amplifier with two channels such as an amp for a PA). You should look into getting an inexpensive stereo power amplifier that can be bridged mono and use that for your 2x10, then the internal power amp of your head will be dedicated to the lows (and sent to the 15 when you get it).

9. At the moment I'm only actually playing through a 2x10 that only goes down to 50Hz. I';m aware that its not supposed to work now..

I was jsut wonderign if when I connect both cabs, will the farting still continue?

10. My bad! I thought you were the same guy as in another post (with same head/different cabs). I edited my post. Most likely the "farting" won't be as bad as the 15'' will handle the lows better. You're probably going to run into the same problem as this guy though-

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115054

11. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    If you biamp you'll probably feel much better. At the very least, you'll learn just what your 15 is good for.

I've smoked a couple of 2x10 cabs with a 4 string; expensive hobby. Now that I can afford it I biamp and crossover at 150hz or so with subwoofers.

I believe you can download your manual at:

http://www.peavey.com/support/searchmanuals/list/firebass700.cfm