Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

crossovers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phunky345, Sep 4, 2000.

1. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    I recently purchased an ampeg b2r and hartke 410tp, and plan on buying a 15" soon, maybe a 115xl or son of bertha(swr). I realized one problem, though.
    When I get my amp cranked past 1/2 the way up, I have to turn the 40-60hz range down because the speakers act like they are overpowered. Will a 15 just add more bottom on the same settings, or will I need some kind of crossover that keeps the low end out of my 10's?
    I've found one-space crossovers that say either "passive" or "active". Do passive ones take the high-power signal and filter it? I'm sure you are gonna think "you should've bought a bi-amp head" or something, cause I am.
    Any crossover recommendations?
    Thanks,
    Kyle

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    As long as you buy a 15 that matches up well with the TP you should be okay. Make sure the 15 is more efficient than the Hartke.

Typically you won't place a crossover between the head and the speaker. By the time you spend the bucks to either put a high power handling crossover in the Hartke you'd probably be better off replacing it (unless you're really fond of it).

One full range combination I have is a Sonic MM15 (tiny cabinet) loaded with an Eminence 300w 15 and a Genz Benz 12T (12" with tweeter). It gets loud and clean and the 15 takes the brunt of the power so the 12T works great.

At one time I had a Hartke 410 and 115 (not the Transporter series, the original Guild Hartke cabs). They sounded excellent together running full range. The 115XL may do the trick for you.

3. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    Thanks. I think I'm just gonna get the 115xl, because it seems to match my amp just right. It handles 200-w rms, and I'll load 175 watts rms into it with the 410 below it.

4. Skip

Skip

Mar 22, 2000
    Bronxville, NY
    You may have a grounding issue. Ground loop hum is in the 60 Hertz range in the US (because the AC is 60Hz at the plug, give or take). Have someone (a pro) take a look at your rig and see if you have a a loose wire or other grounding problem. You don't describe your set-up, but the hum can come in at any level (Bass, pre-amp, effects, or amp). Mix and match and see if the problem goes away. Try different wall jacks and change your power strip if you use one. When you take something out of the loop and the hum stops you've found your culprit.

Good luck.