1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crossroads

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by LowDown Hal, May 20, 2011.

1. Not sure if this is the right forum...

Anyway, does anyone play a "kinder, gentler bass part" on this tune. Every time I sit down to think about it I can't get Jack's riff's out of my head.

I have the Cream version, I'm just wondering if anyone does anything different and if so, what?

THANKS,
    .Hal

2. THANKS,

I had fooled with the Elmore James a little. But we have enough songs where I basically play a shuffle beat :)

I dig the Derek & the Dominos. Everything we've fooled with as a group has me favoring the Cream version at a slower tempo. It seems quintessential Crossroads I guess.

We're working on an arrangement were the first verse is slow and quiet and then we kick it up a notch or three.

3. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Hal,

I play a simplified version of Jack Bruce's studio recording line. I pretty much repeat the basic riff over the A and D chords then pound out root eighth notes for the E - D chord, back to the riff for the A chord (bar 11) and then root eighth notes for the E chord (bar 12).

BTW, check out this version: YouTube - ‪Yuto Miyazawa plays with Moonalice: Crossroads‬‏

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    There's a studio recording of Cream doing "Crossroads"?

John

5. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Sorry, I meant the live version on Wheels of Fire

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    OK, thanks, I thought there might be a studio Cream track I'd missed!:)

Another angle is "The Powerhouse" recording. It was Clapton, Steve Winwood, Jack Bruce, Pete York (drums, from the Spener Davis Group), etc. There was a version of "Crossroads" they did for the one-off album "What's Shakin", but it's been re-released several times in different compilations I've seen over the years.

My personal approach is to play in the spirit of Jack's playing without trying to cop his lines beyond the basic structure. That performance captured on "Wheels Of Fire" is so improvisatory, and a perfect example of Cream at their best. It's three musicians carefully listening to each other and reacting to what the others play. It's GOT to be different every time if you approach it that way. Otherwise it winds up sounding as bad as Skynyrd's live version where the bass and drums are simply a vapid background to three guitarists attempting to sound as firey and inspired as Clapton does when he's being challenged by Jack and Ginger.

I also really love the Derek & The Dominoes version.

John