Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crowd-pleasers please...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by frankencow150, Dec 27, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    what are some songs that get the crowd going and pumped up?So far me and my guitarist can play "smells like teen spirit" by the one and only Nirvana and "knowledge" by Operation Ivy(RIP).
    Any other suggestions that the crowd will like?

2. Well, we haven't really tested it out yet (to see if it's a crowd pleaser), but my band is tossing Winnie the Pooh into our set for a show in a couple of weeks. Should prove interesting at a bar whose patrons typically hate anything that's not Limp Bizkit or Korn. :D

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Depends on the demographics of your audience.

4. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    i agree with the demographics.
    if you're playing at a country bar-then play country music obviously! lol. or if it's an "all age show" then it would be newer stuff like staind, limp bizkit, creed and other teeny bopper crap.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Skynrd :D I don't care if you play classic rock, jazz, or death metal, the crowd seems to love Skynrd.

6. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    It seems even a bad rendition of "Brick House" makes "em get up." Play that white boy music" is another.

My bands latest is "Smooth" by Santana.

7. Hey, this is my first post here though I've been lurking for ages. Just had to reply to this one.

I was at a punk show at a local school about three weeks ago, where a local band (called guzpuppy or something) threw in a cover of Winnie the Poo. Totally awesome, even if the kids screwed up the sound :D Definitely give it a shot.

As for Smells Like Teen Spirit, I would give that as the definition of crowd pleaser. I have practically complete strangers coming up to me and asking if I can play it. I'm trying to get my band to play it as we speak (type? whatever).

I presume you're talking about kids at an all-ages gig here. I hope you are anyway.

Good luck.

8. These have been known to work with crowds of slightly over 20 years and below:

Rage against the machine - Killing in the name of
    Smashing pumpkins - Today
    Staind - Outside
    Sex pistols - Anarchy in the U.K.
    Radiohead - Creep
    Europe - Final countdown
    Rammstein - Du hast
    Muse - Plug in baby
    Guns n roses - Sweet child of mine or Paradise city
    Iron maiden - Run to the hills

Then as the man offered, Sweet home Alabama is always a crowd pleaser and it's good to cover Knocking on heavens door too. Only three chords (G - D - 2xC) for the entire song and you can do it like Eric Clapton, Bob Marley, Guns n Roses or be original and play it like Bob Dylan did.

9. we always open with lounge act by nirvana. i love it cause it is an easy bass line that sounds incredibly difficult to non bass players. girls also dance to it for some reason. you could also throw in "Tommy the Cat" by primus if you want something that will be easy to learn. j/k.

10. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    Creep definatly.
    Bullet with Butterfly Wings - Smashing Pumpkins

11. anything weezer. for no one else, tired of sex, say it ain't so, knock down drag out... it's hard to think of one that WOULDN'T be a crowd pleaser.

12. Its true! nuff said.

:D:D

Merls

13. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Yeah,well im starting a band,but probably in a year or so if were ever good were probably gonna do talent shows and battle of the band type stuff.so yeah,all ages.and we would only play ska,metal,punk,classic rock,skacore,and grunge.were not really into anything like creed,limp bizkit,or puddle of mudd.

14. Very true, my band covered "Say It Ain't So" and that got a much better response than any other songs that we did.

15. Laid - James
    We're Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister
    Beautiful People _ Who else??????
    Talk Dirty to Me - Poison
    Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger
    Song 2 - Blur
    You Oughta Know - Alanis Morisette

Having said this, I just got home from a gig that the crowd went nutz for Ecstasy, by Rusted Root, and barely even danced to anything else.

16. Lady Marmalade if you have a female singer, everyone digs it and it sounds great if you incorperate the low C in the main riff (if you have a 5 string)

17. I've heard lady marmelade done with a male singer, it was pretty good. Oh, and some songs I forgot:

It's your life - Bon Jovi
    I shot the sheriff - Bob Marley
    Where is my mind - Pixies
    Crawling - Linkin Park
    Fly away - Lenny Kravitz

If you want to add a little foreign flavour to your set list then there's a song by the Icelandic metal band Ham which sets everyone on fire ( at least up here :) ) If you want I'll send you a tab for it and where you can listen to it.

PS. What's the deepest note in lady marmelade? I accedentally picked it up yesterday ( you should've seen the look on my face :) ) but everything I pick up is in G.

18. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    Playmate of the year-Zebrahead, alot of people like songs like this one
    Alot of weezer songs

19. We used to always get a crowd going with "HotRod Lincoln". Extended crazy solo dance mix. Belly up to the bar boys, have a big ol' drink and get crazy.

20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I agree. We started covering the song right away when we started playing out. We'll probaly play it tonight cause the bar I'm playing at, seems to like Santana a lot.