Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crowd Pleasing Bass solo... thingy

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Last night I was doing a gig at my school infront of almost every student, and we always play 3 songs, bass solo, 2 songs guitar solo 1 song drum solo, final song.

For my little bass solo normally I just play some little add libbed thing or Stu Hamms 'Country Music- a night in hell' that gets the crowd laughing, or anesthesia.
    But this time I decided to try something that jason newstead did. I used my morely and cranked up some serious delay and did the solo thing he does on Binge and Purge. The crowd was silent, they had no idea what was going on! I was getting sounds out of my bass that sounded like something of the blair witch project. The small crowd of year twelves around where I was where staring awestruck, it was madness! After I'd finished, there was three seconds of silence before the crowd started showing their appreciation. I'm not sure whether they liked it, but I got the effect I wanted, they where completely dumbfounded!

I love making people think 'what the f**K' instead of 'wow'.

2. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    I love just throwing in a random tap solo... it always takes people that don't know much about music a little while to realize that I'm playing that on bass, and Dave isn't playing it on guitar

3. Theodeus

Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    First time I tapped my guitarist went "What the.. where are those chords coming from!?" Took him a while to figure it out. :rolleyes:

4. Learn melodies everyone can recognize. Like the Inspector Gadget theme, or The Spider Man Theme. Also, my teacher told me that it helps if you have this phrase in your head that phonetically has a certain rhythm, like "I got a big fat mama".

5. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Once, in between songs at a gig, i did an impromtu bass rendition of "eruption" by EVH. Sounded sweet. All the guit*rists in the crowd were goin crazy, and 3 dudes i know who play bass looked at me and shook their head, mouthing the words "do some jaco". hehehe.

6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I love doing in between song fills and licks.

7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I use to do "Stairway to heaven" on my bass in some break. Sometimes I even play (and sing) my bass only version Murder by numbers. Not that there's something spectacular about any of them but it usually gets the crowd's attention when played on bass.

ANDRUCA

8. That's a big no-no on a paid gig.

9. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Yeah i know, i mean our local gigs that we dont get paid for, if id do that at a big paid gig, it would look very unprofessional.

10. Agreed! :)

11. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Of course it always has to be part of the show. Otherwise, no way...

ANDRUCA

12. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Heh, I always do Inspector Gadget solo, and then go right into the bass intro of one of our songs. Sounds good and the crowd likes it. :)

Graeme

13. I f i ever get a chance to do a solo bass thing infront of a crowd i would either do my own version of "slang" or the entire super mario bros theme and underground theme.

14. the only bass solo I have to end a song is the chorus melody to Santa Claus is Coming to Town. I pulled it out of my rear during practice as a joke, next thing I know I'm recording it in the studio. I hope Kris Kringle doesn't complain about copyrights... :meh:

15. little late on the post, but i pulled out the Jason Newstead style solo in my first ever gig the other week, played my take on the intro's to Orion, God that failed and then basically his cunning stunts solo. I just like to use a bit of syncopation in there, my style i guess. But they work a charm, makes people realize bass is a great melody instrument.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'd imagine that's public domain by now. Then of course, I could be wrong. Doesn't someone still own the rights to Happy Birthday?

17. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    A good one that is always a crowd-pleaser would be the Super Mario theme. It's really fun to play as well.

Graeme

18. I also have to add, figure out what time signature it's in BEFORE YOU PLAY IT LIVE!

I recently had a mini train wreck because the song was in 3/4, but the thing I was playing in 4/4... So transpose it into the right time sig for you.

19. A little of my friend Marcus Miller seems to get the crowds attention.

20. I disagree. I usually do some light bassing in the background while my bands frontman is doing his thing with the crowd. It fits for a transition inbetween the songs, gives the crowd something to listen to instead of silence while my guitarist is tuning or something, and adds a bit of mystery as to whats coming next. I think it looks very professional, maybe its just the way I do it. I'm not really wailing out some super mario or anything, just some jazzy, physcadellic stuff.