crowds and mosh pits

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blunk, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Blunk

Aug 14, 2002

Just wondering how you other TBers feel when you see a crowd going nuts, moshing and just really feeding off the songs you're playing? I'm not talking huge crowds, just small groups of people.

It really gets me going, i just go nuts.

I love the gigs when you just drip with sweat by the end!:D
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    They're nice, but I don't like them, and we ALWAYS have a few that develope. That reason for my dislike is once in a pit, this girl was knocked against the stage, hitting the back of her head. She hit it so hard, that I felt the stage vibrate! I don't think that you have to get your azz kicked just to prove that you're having fun.
  3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

When I was doing this it was called slam-dancing. (Shows hold old I am.) It wasn't nearly as violent.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  5. Around here, moshing is just a normal jump and bang around pit. Slamdancing is usually large drunk people swinging and kicking violently and painfully.
  6. I've never gigged before, but I'm sure I'd rather be on stage than in the mosh pit. My personal hell would be a mosh pit with a few giant spiders in it.
  7. Mosh pits are fun, depends on the crowd though. Small groups of kids who know what they're doing are cool because people who get knocked down or pushed get helped up really quickly. Though, there are times when you have drunken frats kick the stuffing out of little kiddies.

Some well know heavy bands like Fugazi and ATDI discourage mosh pits though, so, it's really up to ones discrestion.
  8. Yep. I remember if you'd fall, people would help you up, not pound and kick you into the floor. It was supposed to be fun, and not to intentionally hurt anybody (at least the shows I went to). I think that started to change when the metalheads and punks started going to the same shows during the whloe thrash punk/metal crossover-whatever in the late '80's.
  9. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    it used to be fun, when i was younger, fitter, and could drink my body weight. you'd get knocked down, a couple of heads would help you up and throw you back in....

there's a formula, though: there's always one dick, one guy who wants to go a bit too far, swinging and taking cheap shots. and after a bit, there's always somebody there to whup his ass. happens almost every concert i've been to where the mosh thing occurs.

now, though, i'm a bit older, and think its a bit weird. i know a sociologist (or did, rather) who was doing his doctoral thesis on slam dancing/moshing. its like putting a spider and a wasp in a jar, shaking it, and presto! they fight. does the same formula apply? harsh external stimuli+close contact+heat/sweatyness/brutish teenage males=violence?
  10. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've never been to a show where there has been moshing... I don't even think there was moshing at Motorhead. Lemmy and the band even had beer holders on their mic stands.
  11. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    You can do that?! Wow! :eek: ;)

Back on topic. I don't really have a problem with moshing as long as there aren't any idiots who go into them just to beat people up. I was at a show last night that developed a decent pit a couple of times. No one was too stupid and nobody got hurt.

However, I've also seen a pit where there were these two big guys who just punched anyone who wgot close to them in the pit. It was pretty bad.

I guess it all just depends on the situation.
  12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I hate mosh pits-probably even more than crowd surfers. I don't go to shows often, but when I do it's to hear music; not get slammed around by bored neanderthals or have people fall on my head. I definitely prefer the European method-pogoing. You can release your excess hormonal energy, nobody gets hurt, the band can do it do too.
  13. Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    yeah i mean the smaller crowds, not slam dancing, its more everyone just jumping around - pogoing i think its called - and having fun. I can't abide slam dancers, my girlfriend got smacked up against the railing once when this guy shoved her in the back...had a few words with him;) There's always one person to go to far.

Most of the moshing i've seen people always help each other up, it may be fun but if people are getting hurt we try to draw attention to it and prevent any more.

I've never crowd surfed, i'd like to, but i'm pretty big - 6'5 265, so i don't think too many people could support me.
  14. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I agree. The other thing that frosts me are the stupid yuppies who talk (shout over the music) the entire night and crawl over you fifty times to go for beer.
  15. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

Around here the mosh pits are usually pretty good, even at the last panter/slayer show it wasn't too violent. Ya just have to spot the idiots and move to a different part of the pit. Although at the zimmers hole show I almost had a problem ... I was standing kind of off to the side at the edge of the pit, I started to have a slam of my beer and someone pushed me from behind.. could have been nasty. I just about lost it. Turned around with the look of death in my eyes :D and told the guy my thoughts..hehe. He didn't touch me again.
  16. hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    This guy at Ozzfest got knocked out cold during Hatebreed and we had to get the band to stop the set. I love it though. I don't however, like crowd surfers. I've gotten injured worse by them than in the heat of the pit. I don't like that one ******* who's in every pit also. Like the guy who punched me in the back. I didn't even know what happened...I just dropped straight down on my knees. I got up and turned around and it's some dude at the edge of the pit, just standing there waiting for every cheap shot he could get.

When playing, I like to be energetic, and feed off the crowd's energy. I love to see the audience getting involved. Someday I would love to see a whirlpool pit going from the stage...aah...what a rush that would be.
  17. I havent gigged with my punk band yet, but when we do I'm keen to get the mosh pits going.

I'd be fully stoked if i saw a bunch of clueless teenagers beating themselves up to our sound.
    It would probably be one of my proudest moments.
  18. I'd have to say that i enjoy mosh pits, but not crowd surfers. They always end up kicking you in the head. My friend got home from a concert and touched the back of his head and found blood all over his hand. He didn't even know it had happened.

Has anyone been in pits in different countries? I'm in Australia and the majority of pits here are really fun. Some get a little rough, as in crowd surges etc. but ive never come across a guy punching people for the fun of it. If someone falls they get picked up. Ive seen videos of US pits and they seem to have less movement, as in no jumping, or pogoing as it was mentioned as earlier, but here that goes on all the time.
    Has anyone had any experience of both worlds?
  19. I've only played a few gigs where people were actually moshing. sometimes they just stand around with their arms crossed and head ban, sometimes they like to sing along, but my favorite is when they skank. ahhhhhh, that makes me feel great!
  20. when they... skank? What the heck does skank mean in this context?