Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crown and Alembic or Mesa

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kboyd, Sep 1, 2003.

1. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Here are my choices right now. I know this has been gone over alot, but just narrow it down to these choices. Crown CE2000 and Alembic F-1X pre or Mesa400+ or MPulse 600, opinions please.

2. My old 400+ is still the finest rig I ever had the pleasure of owning. My new F1-X/PLX rig is the only set-up that has ever gotten me even close to that. Same Fender based preamp maybe.....??

3. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    How do you compare the F1-X power amp combo as far as fat fat tone with the mesa?

4. Well, like I mentioned, the F1-X is THE closest that I personally have ever come to nailing the tone of my ol' 400+. Much has been said re: the alembic's massively deep booty, just do a search of this site. It won't sound like 16 glass bottles but the 300v plate vola on the Alembic' single AX7 goes a mighty long way IMO. If you were trying to decide between the two.....the Mesa would be a no-brainer of course. I needed a more "modular" set-up and all that glass started to stress me out after a while. I'd still buy another w/o hesitation; built like a tank.

5. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Thanks for the input, one question remains tho. I love the deep switch on the Alembic for my 5 string. Will the Mesa be able to keep up in the ultra lows? Silly question probably, but my local shops don't have a new Mesa 400 head in stock.

6. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    yes, that glass is expensive, if you go that route you should consider the optional shock-mount rack...and if you tour an extra set of tubes, just in case. i sold mine after the 2nd set of power tube$ (luckily that amp does not need to be bia$ed). but the tone was so sweet!
    well, being a crown nut, i'd get the f1x and a macrotech 1200 with a pip clip card and call it.
    mad subwoofer, i've found way more earth-shaking bass and fundamental tones with solid state power (especially with a 120 xp or fx 25)... not to mention the headroom... do you find this on your solid state rig?

7. The 400+ is cavernous IMO....deeeeep, no prob. The deep switch doesn't do much for me on the F-1X. Many strange and wonderful variations with that deceptively simple three-knob passive tone control set up.
    But....surely you mean the 120XP AND the DOD? That there be my all-time fav combo. Oh yeah. Ironically, upon racking my F1-X I kinda didn't need the DBX much at all. I had previously left mine permanently on with my old M2000. The F1-X is that deep.