Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crown CE1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trevorus, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would like opinions of the CE1000 power amp from Crown. I am buying one brand new, and would like to know what people think of it dependability-wise, tone-wise and other-wise. Thanks for the help, TB'ers.

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Buy first and then research your purchase later? ;)

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Haven't used the 1000 but I own a CE2000 and, so far, I like it very much. It's quite heavy, of course. But it sounds good and does what you expect it to do, in general. Time will tell how reliable it turns out to be but Crown has a good reputation. I'm feeding mine with a Kern 777 preamp. Good luck!

4. You're not going to get hurt buying Crown. They have a solid rep and have been making amps a long time. I still use a really old D-75 for my home studio. It still sounds great.

5. I've got a CE1000 and had been using it as an amp for a PA, then I started using it for a bass amp. Sounds great. Lots of power...it is a little heavy, though, and 3 rack spaces.

Speakon only output is a little bit of a disadvantage, you have to get a special cable to run bridged mono.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My friend's PA has a Crown CE1000 in it and it's always causing problems. Channel 2 drops out all the time and it doesn't like to be bridged. The guy also has a powerbase2 that he bought used a couple years ago. That amp just straight up doesn't work. Others seem to have good opinions of Crown amps, but personally I do all I can to avoid all but the macro and micro tech series.