Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crown demise leads to better sitch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, May 12, 2002.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    hi all,

i've had a Crown D-150A Series II in my studio for nearly 17 years.

recently, it fried.

i can't complain, i've had it on 24/7.

i'll get it fixed eventually.

in the mean time, i brought my bass rack into my studio.

QSC PLX 2402 and Aguilar DB659.

AMAZING results. the QSC with more headroom than the Crown, sounds just marvy.

and, i'm using the DB659 instead of my Sansamp BassDI.

WHAT A DIFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pure creeeeeem.

i'm tempted to replace the Crown with another QSC. probably used.

happy happy!

lemonade from lemons!

fred

2. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I don't know man but Crown in THE industry standard for P.A. systems. I've heard about some realiability issues with QSC's. Good luck, hope it doesn't die on you.

3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i doubt the QSC will.

i don't know what you've heard, but without your direct experience, i'll hang with the QSC.

plus, your fender sig speaks volumes!

:D

f

4. I'm in the pro audio racket and I would say that Crown is one of the industry standards. Crest and QSC are as widely accepted and just as high quality. EV's P-series is becoming a standard as well as L-Acoustics. One of the companies I do freelance work for has over 100 QSCs and reliability has never been an issue. Ditto for another company with about 200 Crowns (macrotech series). QSC has probably got the best reliability stats in the business across its whole range, which is more than I can say about Crown. Think K2:p The reliability of the flagship series of all the major manufacturers seems to be about even.

fhodshon: I would imagine the 2402 has more headroom than the D-150! :D