Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crown fan noise?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by YosemiteSam, Jul 6, 2005.

1. I'm considering upgrading my current bi-amp rack rig with a new power amp. I'm looking at the Crown XLS and CE amps, among others. I've never owned a Crown before, but am aware of their reputation. My question is, how loud is that variable speed cooling fan they use? I want a virtually silent rig; One reason I'm considering upgrading is the Carvin amp I've got now has too much hiss. Will the Crown sit there making noise even when it's not warm? (That is, does the fan stay "off" until it's needed?)

BTW, if "brianrost" is still around - Hello! It's Sam L from ::GUITARNOTES and DEC.

-- Sam

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...if you want a "silent" rig, go for a fanless pwr amp like the "K" series by Crown...

~S~

3. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    On the CE-2000 I used to have, the fan stayed off until you started pouring the power on. Then it was noisy, but not as noisy as my PLX-2402.

My K1 was very, very quiet. :)

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The XLS series has two fans that are on all the time... that's why I'm getting rid of mine. I don't know about the CE, however.

5. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    I have a crown xls 402 and you can definately hear the fans when you power it up. once you start playing, it's ok - the fan noise does not get amplified. I was a little worried about it when I first got it but after playing in a group setting, I don't even think about it. I like it and it gives me plenty of headroom.

6. I've been using a CE 1000 for a couple of years and have yet to hear the fan.Very dependable too.

7. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Can't comment on the models you're looking at, but here's how my Crest Audio LA901 runs, which may be similar:

• Fan is variable speed, but runs constantly. Spins up to full speed at power-on, then slows down to "idle" and only speeds up as needed for temperature control after that.
    • The amplifier is quieter than every computer I own but the fan is definitely audible in a quiet room. No way would you hear it on a typical live stage or during practice with others.
    • No way, no how would I consider it "silent." However this is air and mechanical noise, it doesn't get amplified (well, unless you plug in a mic I guess! :) )
    • A lot of it may depend on how you have the amp set up. Mine was louder sitting on the bench being checked out than it was once I mounted it in my rack (fan blows out the back of the amp, a half foot inside the back of the rack).
    Don't know if that's of any use to you since we're talking a totally different brand, etc... but there it is. Unless I was doing studio or really quiet solo work I don't think I would ever find the noise objectionable.

'rick

P.S. All other things being equal, I'd rather have a fanless amp, if for no other reason than not having to worry about bearings going out eventually, smoke and dust buildup, etc. But all things are rarely equal, forced-air cooling makes a lot of sense in a tightly packed rack or a hot stage, I got an awesome deal on this one used, and it's only a backup amp. So, fans? Bring 'em on. :D

8. Thought I'd re-use my old topic.

How about QSC fan noise? Do the RMX series use a single fan, and is it relatively quiet? It claims to be variable speed, so I'm assuming it'll run slow when the amp is cool.

How about Carvin HD series? That's another one I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance,

-- Sam

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    QSC amps use variable-speed fans. I have to tell you that the fans on the RMX amps, though, are relatively noisy. The PLX fans are quieter but not silent. How they compare with other amps, I'll have to leave to others who have made such a comparison.

10. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I never had a problem with fan noise from my old Crown CE-2000. It wouldn't turn on until it was needed, but then, that was usually the time when volume from the band was cranking the most, so I never even heard it. I've found that unless I'm in a completely dead-quiet environment, the sound from the fan pretty much disappears with all the ambient noise in a gig environment.

Lonnybass