Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crown I-T4000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Go here:

Crown I-T Amps

Now go potty!

:bawl:

Anyone fnd out how much for the I-T4000, give me a PM.

:D

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yes, if I ever return to the power/pre rig, I will be buying this amp. Nothing else will I even consider.

Ummmmm....I just checked the prices. Ummm yeah, I will just always want one. I'll have to settle for the XLS/XS series instead.

-Mike

3. Hmmm. Awfully rich prices. US List $5000.00 for the I-T4000 on the latest price list. Even discounted generously this is going to be one expensive piece of gear.

4. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    WHAT!?!? You only lust after the 4000? Now look, if you are going to have a GAS attack about an absurdly powerful and expensive amplifier, why not go for the I-T8000? After all, that will give you 8,000 watts maximum instead of the puny 4,000 watts of its little brother. Just think . . .four 4-ohm cabinets on each channel, wired in series/parallel, gives you eight cabinets, each one driven by 1,000 watts . . . .(trails off into pleasant fantasies of world domination through rig madness) . . . .

Why, tombowlus would only need ONE to drive his entire cab collection!

I will post pricing in a couple of minutes, these things are too new to find readily.

5. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    5 freakin' grand?!?!?! O.K., my daughter won't get to go to college and I'll have to sell my kidney. I can live with that.

6. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Those things are meant for large venue PA applications. Yeah, they have a lot of power but they also have a lot features that are pretty much worthless. How often do you need to network your rig. My 400+ plus has no ethernet connection and thats fine with me. If you want to dump a sh** ton of money into an amp get a Crown Reference I.

7. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, they may be complete overkill and ridiculously overengineered for a bass rig, but when has that stopped us before? I mean, take the Mo' Bass for example . . .

Here are the actual selling prices from an Atlanta reseller:

I-T4000 - $2399
    I-T6000 - $2899
    I-T8000 - $3650

I still like QSC PLX's, personally.

8. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    much more reasonable....

9. Whatever happened to the mo' bass anyways? I mean... the thing looked like it could get pretty much any sound ever with all those damn knobs...

10. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    From SWR's Web site:
    "Production on the Mo' Bass stopped in early 2003 to make way for the Mini Mo' Bass Preamp, while the original Mo' Bass is currently under redesign."

11. SWR had a lot of reliability issues with the mo' bass. fender is probably spending the money SWR didn't have to properly fix it. the mini mo' is the same thing, minus the internal power amp.

it is true that $1.25 per watt list is high, but there are very many features that take this amp beyond the traditional power amp paradigm. that they're not very useful for a bass rig is kind of beside the point, since it's not designed for a bass rig.

however, it would be cool to have a laptop with a MIDI controller on stage running IQ and softsynths for all your bass needs. how cool would that be?

i think i will have to do whatever i can to get one of these. i am a little afraid to see what 1250W at 8Ohms would do to a bergantino HT-112.

robb.

12. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I have to chime in here (again). I am an Epifani fan to the hilt, and the 1200W or so at 8 ohms is Puuuurrrrrr fect for the Epi 112.

Headroom - I didn't understand it until I had it. And now I can't imagine being without it. Yeah, for most players in most situations, 500 to 700W is probably plenty. Especailly if your rig is essentially your on stage monitor. But there are those of us that are just die hard tone freaks that really dig the integrity of our signal chain and resulting tone. No doubt, this amp is overkill. But have you ever sat in the seat of a fast car? And just tapped that gas pedal? Felt those horses under the hood ready to leap out of the gate? Having that kind of potential in your rig isn't all that difficult or expensive. And thus, highly capable power amps are a must for some of us.

13. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA

14. Let's do some math (easy math)

Assuming your 120v wall socket delivers about 75v to the internal DC rails of the amp, You'd have to suck in over 100 amps (800/75) out of the wall socket. A lot of houses don't even have that much coming in from the power company! So what's the deal here? Even if you could afford it, you'd have to run it off of 4-5 seperate circuits at your local bar to deliver all that power to your speakers. And with a 100 dB efficient speaker, it would get so loud your brain would turn to oatmeal - if it isn't already!

15. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    HUH? WHAT? CAN YOU SAY THAT AGAIN LOUDER?

Finally an amp that is twice as loud as my SM900. Now I just need a cab that will handle the wattage in bridge mode...

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I'm not following your math.

±75V rails would give you at best about 350 watts/ch into 8 ohms. If the power supply has very low impedances, the amp would put out somewhat less than 700 watts/ch into 4 ohms, and something less than 1400 watts/ch into 2 ohms.

17. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey, Bob -

Thanks for joining this thread, because this is a point I have been curious about. Not just with these particular Crown beasts, but with the PLX3002 and PLX3402 as well.

The point it: even assuming a 30-amp / 120 VAC power source (instead of the 20 amp max that is usually the most you find), by what magic can these amplifiers crank out 4 or 6 or 8 kilowatts from a source that can provide no more than (120 x 30) = 3600 watts? I assume they all are using some variety of digital switching control for the power supply rails, but still don't see how they seem to effectively put out more than they take in.

Thanks for all your assistance here.

--Ken

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    They don't.

If you use an amp for lab purposes and have it put out high-power continuous tones, it'll draw a lot more current than if you use it for regular audio like music or voice that doesn't need full power except for peaks.

Here's an analogy: your car's engine is rated for a certain maximum horsepower, but in your driving you seldom use all that is available. Maybe now and then you do some really hard acceleration and come close.

Your gas mileage would be much, much, much worse than it actually is if you were pushing the engine to full power all the time.

19. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I understand that, but Crown's ratings are for maximum average power, not short-term or transient. Granting that the lab test used to derive the rating is nothing like real music, that still doesn't answer my question. These amps are supposed to be able to put out 4 or 6 or 8,000 continuously, just as the PLX3402 is rated at 3,400 watts continuous into 2 ohms with both channels driven. How?

Sincerely seeking understanding.

--Ken

20. Thanks for coming to my rescue Ken! Math - well, it should have read 8000(W)/75(V) to give a very loose estimate of current. And yeah that's not RMS or anything, and I don't really know how efficient of a PS that beast has, but Ken made my point much better than I did. Like the Zeroeth Law of Physics says "There's no such thing as a free lunch".