Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crown K1 vs. Stewart World 2.1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bottomdweller70, Mar 1, 2005.

1. I have my mind set on either the Crown K1 or the Stewart World 2.1. Does anyone have any experience with either of these monsters?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I own a pair of Stewart World 2.1 amps. Note: I only use one at a time. :)

I'm sure the Crown is nice, but I swear by the 2.1 because it's a monster in terms of power, *not* weight!

3. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    The crown is almost 40lbs! The stewart is 17lbs & has more power.

Pretty easy decision IMO.

Although those crown K series amps are slick looking.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I love my 2.1. I've been using it for several years and have not had a problem. I've even used it in the studio while micing a cab and the fan didn't seem to be a problem. As far as the power to weight ratio, I think they're hard to beat. My rack unit with 2.1 and SWR IOD is about as lightweight as a 2100 watt/tube preamp setup can get! :hyper: :bassist:

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The K1 weighs 32 pounds, the more powerful K2 is 38. I own a K2, and reserve it for certain specific uses:

Outdoor shows where I don't want dust or moisture ingested into the amp. (it's sealed)

Smoky venues, though I avoid those like the plague.

Places where I have to share one 15A service with a whole band and/or PA. High efficency = good. :cool:

Low volume practices where a fan is unacceptable. This is where it gets the most use, in my case.

As far as I'm concerned, it sounds just like either of my other 2 power amps in most applications. I use something lighter (PLX) most of the time if I need a lot of power in stereo, and none of the above conditions apply.

6. Here's what you do:

Go to a store that carries both amps and ask to demo them.

Connect the outputs of the two amps together. Apply signal to both. Buy the one that doesn't blow up. :D :eek:

DISCLAIMER: Do not attempt this!!!!! :D:p