Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crown Macrotech 1200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott D, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey, does anyone have any experience with this amp? I have the opportunity to get one locally for $250... Is it a good amp?

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    $250 for an MA1202? Is it broken?

That's a great power amp. $250 is a steal.

Depending on the speakers you're going to be pushing, the wattage may be a bit low, but for $250 I'd buy it just to re-sell. That amp lists for $2400, street price is about $1400.

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Havent played one but I have heard good things about them. Ive know of a used 2402 for $650. Yours sounds like a good price.

4. I PM'd about my PLX2402

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Sorry, it's a Microtech 1200. He says it's used, but he consigned it at a pro-audio place that stands behind everything they sell.

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Still a very good amp, and well worth $250.

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ok, well I've been offered Big String's PLX 2402 for a little over double the price of the Crown... If I bought the crown, I'd have a lot left over for a quality pre, but If I bought the QSC I'd have to wait a little to get some money for a good pre (I currently have a back-up amp that I could use). I really like the fact that the QSC is so light, One of my friends has one, and his rack is very easy to transport... I am 17, so I don't have back problems or anything, but for just convienence's sake...

8. I'm 53.... trade me for age 17 and I'll give you the amp and money.... :hyper:

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ha!

10. I take it that's a no .... :crying:
    Oh well, I've had a great time getting here. ;)

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Alright-Give me some cash, the PLX, The Mesa, and your Bergs, and we'll call it even.

12. Hey Scotty, if you can turn back time, I'll bet you're going to get a lot of takers..... stand by Dude.

13. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Hmmm.... decisions, decisions....

The QSC has more wattage, so you could be pretty sure that you wouldn't need more amp for a long time. And it's light.

The Crown has a fair amount of wattage, and may be plenty for you depending on the cabinets you're going to be driving. If you're got plans for an Acme rig, or a PA-style subwoofer, the Crown may not cut it, but with most typical bass guitar cabs it'll be fine.

Both are well built and have great reputations.

That's about all I can tell ya........decisions.....decisions....