Crown Macrotech: worth the weight?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthias, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I can get a Crown Macrotech 1202 at a very decent price but I still wonder if it's worth it, because that thing is really heavy compared to a GK head or a QSC PLX (other options I'm thinking of)

OTOH the Macrotech series seems to have the reputation of being one of the best power amps for bass amplification and so I always dreamed of having one...

What do you think?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's bulletproof and sounds great so the only real question is will you get sick of carrying it around.

That's your call...but in all other aspects it's a no-brainer if the price is low enough.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    EXCELLENT amp! BUT, unlike the PLX, you don't have any filter capabilities & the outputs only have banana style jacks(no 1/4" or speakons)+ no XLR inputs.

If you're looking for reliability & crystal clear sound with tons of lows, it's unbeatable. If the price is right & you don't need all the "bells & whistles", go for it.

PS: Check what kind of plug you have on it for the power supply. It might be a 20A style which doesn't fit into many common 110V outlets. No biggie, but you'll have to make/buy an adapter.
  4. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    My favorite amp. The low end is unreal. The thing has 3 power supplies. Go for it!

Plus, if you want a 30/50Hz subsonic filter like those PLXs, there are simple Crown-approved mods that a competent tech can perform, or you can buy plugin filter modules off ebay.
  5. If your back's up to the task, by all means go for it.

All the local sound companies in Ithaca used Macrotechs for their subs and Microtechs for their mids and tweeters. After I set off car alarms with B-string notes on an outdoor gig, I understood why. :D
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yup....go for it....yeah, it's heavy...oh well.

7. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks for your replies, I know what I've got to do (damn GAS) ;)

Just one more question: It's actually an Amcron Macrotech. Is there any difference in quality or something?

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA is still a Crown product, Macro-Tech quality.....apparently Amcron was the name used for models exported out of the USA....maybe some brand name disputes in other countries.....follow the link below, and it says so on the front page of the manual:Macro-Tech

the above link is a .pdf file, BTW.

9. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks for the quick answer!
  10. I Have 4 of the Cromn MA1200 amps powering my PA. Damn heavy & expensive but they sound good. I would personally go for a lightweight 1u amp If it was for my main bass rig, but price is the big issue...UK Prices on power amps (other than Behringer) is just rude.:spit:

As one of the other TB guys said, only Banana plugs on the Crowns, which is great for hardwired settups (Like My PA rig) but crap for plugging, unplugging gig after gig if its a stand alone Bass amp.

One other thing I have noticed is that All of the proper PA systems (ie touring PA's) I now see are using smaller lightweight powerfull amps - the new breed of digital amps. I would do the same with My PA but cant justify the cost..I will keep straining my back until then..;)

Cheers, Dave