Crown or Crest??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-end, Jan 3, 2006.

1. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I will be buying a power amp very shortly. I am not concerned with price or weight as much as I am with sound quality. Right now I am looking at the Crown K1 and the Crest CA-6.

I was going to get an Aguilar DB728 but they were discontinued and now I have a hard time finding them

Here is the gear I already have and will be using
    Musicman StingRay bass
    Ampeg SVP-CL preamp
    Mesa/Boogie road ready 4x10 cabinet 8Ω

Im leaning towards the Crown K1 right now but if theres someone whos compared it with other amps such as a Crest CA, let me know which sounds better. According to specifications, the Crown K1 has a better damping factor.
  2. Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    I own the K2...the bottom end is awesome with a very fast attack. Also silent with no fan, but you should leave a space above it as it does get warm. They draw less current from the wall too. They're pretty reliable these days. Sounds better than any standard bass power amp I've heard. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

I haven't had the chance to try a CA-6 or 9, I'd say they're pretty close, with the Crest being heavier and possibly better sounding, by how much I don't know.

The Crown Macrotech line is the best performer but dearer...extremely reliable though, all the pro audio guys use them.
  3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    A Crown K1 would be an excellent choice for an Ampeg pre. You can't go wrong with one of those. I'm thinking of getting one myself.
  4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    My MA 2402 is hands down the best power amp I've used. If only they were not so pricey...
  5. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

What a is tough to beat either one.

Both are absolutely stellar performers with literally perfect sound...

Don't both!!! :D
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would think that either would be a very strong choice. I'd go with the best deal on either Crest or Crown.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    And he said price is not a concern...

Dude, go for the MA-2402.
  8. Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    I really can't think of a better power amp...just better bang for buck, but for quality I think this one's it. :)
  9. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    If your objective is top quality power amplification, you might want to consider the Glockenklang Bugatti. It is expensive, but the tone is exceptional. The build quality is also outstanding.

10. i'm on my second K2. i love it. i've heard, though i haven't verified myself, that the K1 sounds better than the K2. the K2 has deep, tight lows and very sweet highs. i really like how the K2 sounds.

11. No one has really commented on the Crest, especially A/B w/ the Crown. I thought I would bump this because I'm looking at both of these, too.
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've been thrilled with all three of my CA9's. Once my first one made it's way into my PA rig, I had to get a second for the PA, and then I missed having one in my bass rig. These things are stupid good for the money, in my book.

13. oh, Tom :rollno:
  14. Are certain power amps suited best for different tones ie old school, modern, hi fi, etc. Or are some just simply better than the others?
  15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Power amps designed for PA and general pro use are pretty much designed to be neutral and accurate. And I think the reputable amp manufacturers in general accomplish that pretty readily. MI-type power amps may have certain flavorings designed in, depending on the manufacturers' approach.