Crown or QSC power amp ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afroman, Nov 18, 2002.

1. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm planning on buying either a Crown XLS 402 or a QSC 850 and pair them to two Avatar cabs. (two 210's or 210+115). I play a Lakland 55-01 5 string and play all types of music. My pre-amp will be my SansAmp BD.

Crown XLS 402:
    - 2 x 570w at 2 ohms
    - 2 x 400w at 4 ohms
    - 2 x 260w at 8 ohms
    - 800w at ohms bridged mono
    - 3U rackmount
    - 31 lbs
    - THD less han 0.15%
    - aprox. $280

QSC 850:
    - 2 x 430w at 2 ohms
    - 2 x 300w at 4 ohms
    - 2 x 200w at 8 ohms
    - 600w brigdeg mono at 8ohms
    - 830w brdged mono at 4 ohms
    - 35 lbs
    - 2U rackm.
    - THD less that 0.01
    - $300

The Crown is cheaper with more power, but 3U. The QSC has less power but has less THD, is only 2U and can work 2ohm loads in mono. Since I'm gonna buy the Avatars I need some help. The 210 can be ordered in 8 or 4ohms. The 115 is 8 ohm. If I decide on the 210+115 setup, I'd probably have to buy an amp that provides enough power at 8ohms (in stereo) but if I buy two 210's I'd get them both 4ohm. So, would It be best to buy the 210 and 115 in 8ohm so they get the same amount of power? Or will two 210's work equally or better ???

Please tell me your opinions about these two amps, quality and soundwise. Which one's better?
    Aby help is very welcome.
  2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I've heard too many horror stories of Crowns melting during gigs. Actually, the more expensive lines (macrotech and microtech) have a good reputation, but all I've had is bad luck with the CE series. I don't have any experience with the XLS line, but if it's anything like the CE series, stay away from it.

I've heard nothing but good news about QSC amps, even the "cheaper" RMX line that you are looking at. If it were my money I'd go with the QSC.
  3. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i have the qsc rmx850. so far it's done what its supposed to do. i've only gigged a couple of times with it though. but i'd say get one. i've heard nothing but good about them.
  4. My amp tech tells me that Crown amps are generally very reliable, but because of their archetecture, things can get really messy when they do go bad. But personally, my last experience with Crowns was 100 years ago with the old 300 series.

I seriously doubt the human ear can discern the difference between .15% THD and .01% THD especially when you're sharing the stage with Mesa and Marshall halfstacks. I wouldn't let the THD influence you too much.

As far as the cabs go, if I were to get a 1x15 and a 2x210 I'd get them both 8ohms and run them from the amp in bridged mode. I'd do the same with two 2x10 cabs.
  5. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    I own both QSC (bass rig) and Crown XLS (driving monitors). Both sound great and have been reliable.
  6. Of the 2 I would choose the QSC. If you were comparing Macrotech or K series I would have to go with Crown. But in this price range I think that QSC has the edge. jmho
  7. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I've had my RMX 1850HD since March and it has behaved perfectly the whole time. It weighs a ton, but it's built like a tank, and it puts out endless clean power for about $0.25/watt. It's very happy driving a 2 ohm load on one channel (a pair of 4 ohm Acme Low B-2s). The RMXs are great bang for the buck.

I haven't tried any of the Crowns, so I can't comment on them.