1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crown Power amp Ampeg cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snargiz, Apr 3, 2013.

1. snargiz

snargiz

Mar 27, 2013
    Hello everyone. I am new to these forums but have been reading and searching for the past few weeks for a solution. Here is my issue:

I currently have an Ampeg SVT-410HLF bass cabinet that runs 500W RMS @ 4Ohms, (peak is 1000W). My current head is a Hartke LH1000, I have it bridged to run @ 1100W @ 4Ohms. Is it okay that I am running the head into the cabinet that way with that much power? I have been doing it for about a year now with no problems.

The head itself is having issues lately and I am getting it repaired.

My other question is while my head is being serviced, I have a few shows coming up. I have a couple of options with "extra" equipment that my band has. Using an MXR M80 Bass D.I.+ preamp/direct box are either of these options okay:

Option 1. A Crown XTi 1002, which runs 500W @ 4Ohms RMS per channel (2 channels), and 1400W @ 4Ohms mono-bridged.

Option 2. A Crown XLS 1500, which runs 525W @ 4Ohms RMS per channel (2 channels), and 1550W@4Ohms mono-bridged.

Will there be enough to power going to my cabinet coming from just one channel of either one of these amps or would I have to bridge it?

Sorry to be such a tool...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    First off, you can power a 410hlf with a 20w amp and have no problems with the cab other than not enough volume for your needs. Underpowering is a complete and total myth. If it wasn't, then amps wouldn't have volume controls.

Second, any of your choices are fine, either bridged or unbridged. You seem to have a handle on knowing not to turn up your cab to where it'll explode. That's half the battle right there.

3. +1

Bas(s)sically, just use your ears and don't turn the volume up more when the cab sounds like it's about to blow up.

4. snargiz

snargiz

Mar 27, 2013
    Thanks so much, it makes me feel better getting other people's advice. Like I juusssttt might know what I'm doing... hahah who am I kidding, I don't know jack!!! Thanks again, I appreciate it so much.

5. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    I'd use the XTi in bridged mode (I like having the headroom), just listen carefully for speaker distortion, but it'd have to be getting pretty darn loud first. Or you can run it single channel if it gives you enough volume and headroom for you.

The XLS has low sensitivity (I use one), so the XTi can be driven properly by more preamps, especially pedals.