Crown Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by <skipsequence>, May 9, 2002.

1. <skipsequence>

Apr 10, 2002
    I'm buying a whole new rig and I want to go with a power amp and a preamp. I was looking at Crowns and I was wondering if anyone has used any of the XLS series. Also any input on Crown in general would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't know a whole lot about Crown from personal experience but I haven't heard much negative stuff regarding their amps. They are kind of on the heavy side. You might be able to find more information and other amps here:

Crown Power Amps
  3. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    IMHO,they represent the best price/performance ratio on the market.I have two in our band's PA and they sound great.They have a 3 year no fault warranty and THEY pay the shipping both ways as long as you keep the original carton.I've never had to send mine in,however.
  4. Hey, well from what I can tell you Crown is considered one of the best. The pro touring PA's like the ones in stadiums are often ran off of Crown Macretechs. That takes a lot of balls, and the pros wouldn't use them if they couldn't take a ton of abuse. The macrotechs require a ton of power though, and some breakers may not handle the larger ones, they can be kind of heavy and expensive too. Still awesome amp if you can spring for it. On the lower end, I am sure Crown makes a piece of quality gear. Check out the CE series. That may suit your needs fine. They have a nice price for the power too. Hope that helps.
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Ever since Crown got bought out a couple years ago I've started hearing bad things about their amps. Stuff like amps blowing up during gigs and other reliability issues. Personally, I never liked the way Crown amps sounded. If it were my rig I'd probably go with a QSC or Crest, but that's just me.
  6. I have still been under the impression that the Macrotech's remained in top shape. I agree, I have heard about some reliability issues with the K series stuff. Crest rocks as well, and you can't go wrong with a QSC PLX or Powerlight. All of them would make a great amp. I would look for the deal. I have actually heard good things about the Yorkville AP series (for the price). I guess they have a "you break it, we fix it" warranty.
  7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    If you want a Crown, why don't you buy a Peavey? They're made at the same place, but have a longer waranty (5 years instead of 3). Just my 2 cents.;)
  8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    How is it that you came to determine that Crown and Peavey amps are made at the same location? :confused:
  9. I can assure you that Crowns are not made in the same factory as Peaveys. Crests maybe. I can also assure you that the Macrotech series is as reliable as ever. I work for a company that owns over 150 Macrotechs, including new ones and the failure rate has been very low. As for the K series? I always thought they were not worthy of the Crown badge. We installed a bunch and ended up swapping Macrotechs in because the failure rate was incredible. Plus they don't sound very good. Very noticeably weak in the low end compared to a similarly powered Macrotech/Ev P-Series/QSC. QSC's products always sound good and are very reliable. Their lower end ranges tend to be more reliable than other manufacturers' lower ranges from what I've seen. Crest's 001 series amps have proven to be very reliable. Their CA series had serious problems when they first came out. I think they've rectified that, though. The amps you see again and again in big touring PAs are Crown Macrotechs, QSC MX, Powerlight and PLX series, Crest 001 series and EV's P-series. I think L-Acoustics' (V-DOSC) amps are going to become very common soon. the LA-48 is 2k a side at 4Ohms, 22 pounds. They're pretty expensive, though. I used some of them to power a big rig (V-DOSC) and never saw one go above -15dB during a fairly loud rock show. They also remained COLD to the touch throughout. I took one apart and it's very well made, so reliability should be good.
  10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Spacegoat,

Have you heard anything about these amps?

E&W Power Amps

It's a done deal for me as I just received today but I'm just curious to see if you have anything to add being that you seem to have a lot of different amps crossing you path. Price was certainly a big factor in my decision to buy that brand but from the feedback that I've gotten they are for real. I should get to try mine over the weekend. That will give me a better idea but the true test will be how it holds up long term.
  11. Why is everybody always talking about the QSC PLX series, and never about the RMX?

What makes the PLX better compared to the RMX?
  12. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    That's what my Peavey rep told me. Peavey bought out Crown a few years back. What? :confused:
  13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    No, that was Crest.

Harman International (JBL, Soundcraft, dbx, etc.) bought Crown.
  14. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hey guys, sorry if I'm wrong. I guess either I misunderstood my rep, or he's mistaken. Either way, sorry to ruffle the feathers.

15. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The PLX is much lighter and somewhat more compact. Also (Bob Lee, please correct me if I'm wrong) the switching power supply of the PLX allows it to produce constant power as long as the line voltage is within its operating range; the RMX's output power is entirely dependent on the line voltage.
  16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The PLX can produce somewhat more constant maximum power when the AC line fluctuates, but it doesn't have hard regulation of the rail voltages.

Below clipping, the line voltage won't affect the gain of either type of amp.

The PLX also has a lower noise floor, slightly less THD, a quieter fan, a quicker-acting clip limiter, detented gain controls, and an LED signal level ladder display. These are generally desirable things, but they cost more, so you have to decide what they're worth to you.

When people ask me on the phone or on e-mail, my advice is always to buy the best of what you need and what you can afford, but don't overspend, especially if you're just starting out gigging. That's because if you're doing only maybe a couple paying gigs per month, spending your money wisely will shorten the length of time before you've made back what you invested. You can always upgrade as you get more established, and if you start off buying stuff that has good resale value, you'll be in even better shape.
  17. I've had my Crown K2 for about three years with no problems. It sounds great to me. No regrets. I couldn't hear any difference with the Macrotech from the K2. The K2 is more efficient, has a neat standby that kicks in when it's not in use. I think it's a power amp for life.
  18. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've been using a Crown DC300A Series II power amp for almost 20 years. It blew a fuse once when I was driving it hard into a 4-ohm cabinet, I replaced the fuse on the spot and it was good to go again. Now I just put a fan on it when I'm using a 4-ohm load and I can drive it as hard as I want. Heavy as hell, though..
  19. Hey Bob, or somebody else,

Is it possible to use the QSC RMX with my Hartke HA 5000 amp?
    Will I be able to shut off the power-amp section of the Hartke or can I combine it with the QSC?
  20. lorbas

lorbas Supporting Member

May 11, 2002
    Kamen, Germany
    If you buy crown, get a microtech, macrotech or psa-2.
    If you buy qsc, get a mx, ex or plx.
    I can't recommend the cheaper series at all.
    Few days ago i tested a new qsc rmx 2450 against an old qsc mx 2000. Result: in comparison the rmx sounds weak and had no good low end.