Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crown Powerbase 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DWBass, Jan 9, 2004.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I may be coming into one of these amps for $200! Has anyone owned or have any experience using one? I'd like to hear some thoughts. The amp is in very good condition.

2. Great amp; tough as nails. I've been dragging around my Powerbase 3 for years. The only warning I'll offer is you'd better be sure you have a good source of wall current. If the AC input voltage drops enough, the amp will go into protect and shut itself off until the AC is stabilized. That's not a bad thing, but you need to consider it if you're playing in a lot of bars or similar places. When the cooler cuts on, your amp might shut off.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Thanks! The amp is now being used to power our monitors (A Mackie is powering the mains). The band leader is upgrading and wants to sell it to me. We usually do corporate functions and weddings (no bars/clubs) and since I've been with the band, it's given us no problems nor shut down on us.

Anyone else? I can't find any other info on the web. Anyone got a .pdf or .txt manual? I'm looking for specs. The owner says it's something like 475w per channel/stereo @ 4 ohm and 950w bridged @ 4 ohms or something like that.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

You can get service manuals, specs, and schematics on the legacy products part of the Crown website: http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legacamp.htm

The amp's not rated for 4 ohm bridged mono, but it does 900+ watts into 8 ohms in bridged mono. 460/side into 4 ohms. There's a parallel mono mode that lets you run 4 or 2 ohm loads, check it out in the manual.

--Charlie Escher

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Thanks for the info! Question? If only one input is used does it still output in stereo (I'd be using 2 8ohm cabs)??

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

If only one input is used does it still output in stereo (I'd be using 2 8ohm cabs)??

Psycho might be able to tell you more about the parallel mono mode, but it looks like the amp in that mode will drive your two cabs with 655 watts into the 4 ohm load. If you need separate volume controls for each cab, say to balance the sensitivities of different cabs, you could use stereo mode, which will put you at 325 watts per cab. Looks like you would need a Y cord, or an active signal splitter in front of the amp. PBG?

7. If you need independent volume control, use a Y-cable to feed both inputs. I've never tried the parallel mono mode on mine (it's for PA tops), but I would assume everything Passinwind said to be correct.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Thanks for all the replies.