1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crown XLS 2500 // Monique issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Finbase, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Finbase

Finbase

Oct 12, 2010
    Espoo, Finland
    Thanks, Stone soup!

OK, so a standard speakon cable won't do... Where can one get a cable that would suite my needs? Does the required cable have some specific name or term? (Like "TS" cable and "TRS" cable...)

Darn, this is hard: I don't know much about electricity, PLUS it's even harder trying to understand all these terms in English... I'm not a native speaker, and I barely now all this vocabulary even in Finnish!

Thanks for your patience and help this far, everybody!

2. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    A standard Speakon cable can be easily altered to do the job. Use a four (4) pole Speakon connector to replace the standard two (2) pole connector on your cable. Wire the POSITIVE wire (commonly colored white) to pin 1+ of your new four pole connector, then wire the NEGATIVE wire (commonly colored black) to pin 2+.

Here is an example of the four pole connector

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    You won't find a pre-made one, this is a specialized Item that you're going to have to make yourself. Luckily, Speakon cables are easy to make with just a screw driver and some wire strippers and a knife.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thank you! Yes, bridge-compatible cables are not readily available...you have to modify speakon > speakon cables as Stone Soup describes above. If unsure as to the procedure, I'm sure there's someone in your vicinity who can lend a hand. Or come by my house and I'll do it for you...probably cost $6-8000 for airfare, meals, etc.

One more thing: do not use an XLR > XLR to connect a preamp to the back of the XLS 2500 unless forced to do so. Use a standard instrument-type 1/4" > 1/4" and insert in channel 1's "Link / Out" input.

Riis

5. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
  6. dStar

dStar

Mar 1, 2012
  7. Finbase

Finbase

Oct 12, 2010
    Espoo, Finland
    Thanks to everyone, and especially to Stone soup, for your time, help and advices! I'm really thankful!

BTW, Zooberwex, why that XLR to XLR connection should be avoided? Since the Monique has two outputs, one with TRS (line out) and one with XLR (balanced DI out). Although the dalanced out has significantly weaker output (and that's why I've not used it on the louder gigs), it sounds a bit better: the Cinemag output transformer which is in the balanced out ads some "thickness" and warmth to the tone which hard to describe in words.

Could I use an XLR cable with a TRS head in the other end?

8. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Did you notice they want an additional $3.50 for the bridged version? Man, that's two dollar-menu burgers and a 7-11 Big Gulp!

Riis

9. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    To clarify: are you saying that you are using the XLR / DI out to feed the power amp and that the signal is weaker? If so, that may pose a problem which is why I always use the T/S or T/R/S output as stated in my previous post. I cannot speak with any authority on the Cinemag but, if it sounds that good, I would send the enhanced XLR signal directly to the mixer. BTW, I think somebody else can better explain the function of a transformer in a typical balanced XLR configuration.

Fix your cable situation first.

Riis

10. Finbase

Finbase

Oct 12, 2010
    Espoo, Finland
    Yes, I'll fix the speakon issue!

But about the XLR question: I send ALWAYS the balanced XLR DI to the mixer, if there's PA system available on the gig. If I have to play loud, I use the TRS line out.

But I'd like to use that "Cinemag magic" XLR output when I'm practising home, or playing in some rehearsals where the volume levels are very low. But of course, if it damages my equipment somehow, I won't do it...

Thanks for your patience and help, I don't now that much about this topic, even though I am a professional musician. Maybe I should have spent more time with the electronics guide book than with the scales and patterns... :)

11. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Won't hurt a thing but, as you've noted, the overall output will be lower. Sounds like you're on the right track. Gross over-simplification:

XLR / DI = mixing desk

1/4" Line Level Out = power amp

BTW, your English is fine. We spend more time making fun of the Swedes, the same people who brought us Volvo, ABBA, and the Muppet's "Swedish Chef".

Riis

12. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Oct 23, 2011
    I was dealing with the same issue a few weeks ago, It seems these amps need a lot of input power to work as intended.

If your run bridged, your Speakon cable should be wired +1 +2 on the amp side and +1 -1 on the cab side. This way you'll get the the max out of the amp. Not a fuss, Speakon cables are easy to modify.

As for input sensivity, I use my Tronographic Rusty Box direct (with the main output). May be not to everyone taste, but it have plenty of ouput power.

13. Finbase

Finbase

Oct 12, 2010
    Espoo, Finland
    Thanks Razzmatazz! I was actually about to ask about the cab side of the cable...

14. Finbase

Finbase

Oct 12, 2010
    Espoo, Finland
    If you ask from a Finn, the Swedes deserves all to be jeered at! ;) Or maybe we are just envious...

15. dStar

dStar

Mar 1, 2012
    In the Monique you can use either output, just make sure the to pull out the line level control out to get +4db output.

"Monique has two outputs: Line Level output (1/4" Single Ended TRS) and a separate XLR balanced DI output that is driven by a beautiful Cinemag transformer. Both outputs have their own separate level controls. The Line Level control is also a push-pull switch. Left in, the Line Level control gives you the original Monique (0db .775volt) output. When you pull the Line Level control out you get a 4db increase in both the Line Level and the Balanced XLR outputs. That gives you up to (+4db 1.25volts) from the Line Out and (-10db .775volts) from the Balanced XLR output."

16. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Here's the whole manual. Interestingly enough, there's a blurb stating that the Line Level Output push / pull function is intended for use with certain class D amps with sensitivities up to 1.44 volts. Must have had the DriveCore in mind!

http://www.juleamps.com/bass/Mon-Man.pdf

Riis

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Indeed. The rack Monique sort of tweaked how Jule's work was being used... I believe the original intent was in front of a bass amp and as a DI rather than as pre/power rig. There was a fair amount of back and forth over the 'new' somewhat unintended use of Monique as us power amp guys took ahold...some of which were using those Drivecores. Jule had some work, keeping the feel and tone of Monique while also delivering the levels needed for some amps. Ask him about experiments with Monique's evil twin!