1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crown XLS 602 $249 at MF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stevem627, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Stevem627

Stevem627

Nov 30, 2005
    Corinth, TX
    They have now raised the priuce to $349 -- still a good buy but not like it was at $249

It looks like these are on backorder until 5/15 now but I ordered one late yesterday while they still had these showing in stock and wanted to make sure the deal was real. Mine shows that it was shipped out this morning. This seems like a fantastic deal...I was really considering this when they reduced it to $349. When I looked a while back they had it on backorder and they came back in stock long before the time they listed.

I would have listed this sooner but I thought this was a price mistake (which it still could be since the 402 is $249). Since they SHIPPED mine I guess this is the deal right now.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Power/Amps?sku=481579

2. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I was looking at the rmx 1850 / carvin 1800 and this crown 602 , at 249.00 I'll order one.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Coupled with one of the Epifani closeout preamps, you could have a KILLER rig for $748. If I wouldn't have just bought my Iamp 800, I'd jump on that rig in a second.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Indeed, and I did NOT just buy an iAMP800. I think you know what his means. :D

I've owned a few XLS series power amps. Good, simple amps.

-Mike

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    TalkBass.com is evil... :help:

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    *LOL* I'd argue that they are are so simple that they're complicated. They're a PITA to bridge. But I have an XLS 602 in my rack, and I don't think I could ever clip it even if I tried (It seems to have tighter bottom-end than my QSC too).

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

The reviews on MF of this amp are a little "iffy" (weak output, some reliabilty issues, etc). Also, the MF site states it can bridge at 4 ohms but Crown's site and spec sheet says it only bridges down to 8 ohms :( . Oh well....

8. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    +1

I'm seriously considering this, and I SWORE that I would never use another pre/power rack setup.

9. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Where are you seeing this? On the spec sheet I see on there site it says that it bridges to 1680 watts @ 4 ohms. :confused:

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/135738.pdf

10. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I ran my XLS602 bridged at 4ohms quite frequently, no problems. Nothing iffy about an amp that comes on and pumps out the low B in a hard rock cover band for three hours at a time. Have their been lemons in the bunch? I am sure there have. That is when the Crown No Fault Warranty protects you.

Complicated, or a PITA to bridge? It cost me $11 to have the custom Y cable made. It's about as complicated as plugging it in.

BTW....me too vision. After I gave up my last power/pre, I said no more. So much for that!

-Mike

11. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    The more I think about this setup, the more it makes sense...I couldn't find a better rig than this on the used market, let alone new. Over 1600 watts into 4 ohms at $249 new, along with an Epifani preamp for $500 new...

GAS!!!!!!!!

12. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    $249!!! You've got to be kidding me.
    I'm not even gigging right now but [groans]...

Marshall

13. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    That's a stupid good deal, I wish I needed a power amp. I even wish I knew somebody who needed a power amp so I could tell them about it . . .

14. Thanks for the tip, bought one! Now to find the same sort of deal on a preamp!!!

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Uh, Epifani??? :D

16. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Everyone needs a, or another power amp. :D

-Mike

17. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I found that the fan noise on these XLS amps is pretty noisy.

Anyone else agree? Anyone have a solution?

18. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I seldom heard mine kick on. It was mounted in a rack with a few pieces of other gear. I played in a very loud hard rock band, so even if it did come on, chances of me hearing it were slim.

-Mike

19. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    :) but not a fifth one, especially when I'm getting out of the PA business.

I'm sure we'll see these amps on ebay w/ inflated prices in a month or two.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Okay, for those of you who own a XLS series amp and have had the custom cable made up, whom did you have make this for you? I am thinking of having two custom Y cables made. One for bridge mono, and one for parallel mono (if that will work well).

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Tom.