Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crown XLS any good for bass (Ampeg SVP-Pro)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwan, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi all,

Anybody have any experience with the Crown XLS series of power amps?

I'm on the hunt for a power amp to pair with my Ampeg SVP-Pro pre. Any other suggestions? (other than qsc plx and rmx series amps, which I know will be recommended highly by US residents as they are half the price they are in the UK, no UK support either)

Cheers

Ian

2. I use a XLS402 with my EBS-1 pre and EBS NEO-112 cab. I´m quite pleased with it, Its light, gives me more than enough of power and the sound... maybe it´s just my ears but I have never heard any significant sonical differences between solid-state power amps, so to me the XLS sounds just as good as any other s-s amp.

The cons: cooling fan is a bit loud, which could be irritating when playing alone at low volumes. In a band context it´s a non-issue, so it doesn´t bother me. Also, a special cable is needed for driving Crown amps bridged, but it´s pretty easy to make one yourself.

I´ve only had my XLS for about six months, so I can´t comment it´s long-term durability. But during that time I´ve had no problems whatsoever. It´s a good piece of gear for the money, even on this side of the pond!

What model are you thinking of getting, 402, 602? What sort of cabinet configuration do you have?

3. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I was thinking of the 602. I'm currently running 2 1x15 cabs but I am considering a 2x10 in addition - I was thinking, depending on the gig, I could run all three cabs at once in stereo, or the 2x10 and 1 1x15 in bridged mono.

The other contenders are peavey's pv1500 or pv2600 (they're probably great and would last forever, but they're quite heavy), Behringers ep1500 or ep2500 (the cheapest of the lot, but I've heard horror stories about reliability), Yamaha's p5000s (but it doesn't bridge to 4 ohms) or QSC's RMX 1450 (but their support in the UK wouldn't be very good from what I've heard!).

I think the Peavey PV1500 may win in the end...

4. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Scratch that idea - the Peavey only bridges to 8 ohms...

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    And it weights what, a ton? :p
    Also, the Crown is cheaper (at least here). I got mine new for less than €400
    I cant comment on it, however, because I'm still selling my old rig to get a new cab...

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    It can be bridged 4 Ohms, but the amp wont like it.
    The problem there was with the Current Limiting and other protection circuits.
    But, why would you want 1200W or 1600W bridged?
    The 2*400 (actually its 2*450 with 240V 50HZ) and 2*600 is plenty enough IMO.

7. I tend to agree, especially if the cabs are relatively efficient. Bigwan, can you try the amp out with your cabs before buying it?

8. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    No - the only poweramps I'm likely to find here are peavey, and maybe the behringer stuff... I'll try whatever I can find here.

9. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    I used a crown CE1000 with that same pre-amp for a while, it was great. I now use a qsc with the pre and that same crown is in my pa amp rack and is used for two subs. I have not used the series you are asking about but I would not hesitate using a crown amp on anything. IMHO.