Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crown XLS poweramps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, May 6, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Anyone tried these or heard anything about them?
    Are they reliable and suitable for bass?
    The weight and price looks promicing.
    link
    [​IMG]

2. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    I've used one to run monitors. I like the amp. But it can't be bridged.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Okey. Thanks. Then it´s not for me.

4. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    I bought an older model (xls 402) last fall, it looks a little different than what the web site is showing. The manual and the back of the amp on that model don't mention bridging. Maybe they have upgraded it. If Crown says the newer version can be bridged, i'd consider it.

I just looked at the Crown web site. The model you are looking at is a 2 rack space amplifier. The unit I bought was a 3 space unit. I guess they did change the model. Make sure your looking at the newer model for bridging as I've seen the older models still for sale.

5. Is yours taller, like 3 rack spaces instead of 2?

6. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    Yes - I went to the Crown website and the amp I bought was in their 'Legacy' section - amps that were phased out. If you pull up the manual on the 3 rack space unit, no mention of bridging is made.

7. These amps look to me like Crown's answer to the QSC RMX line. They look to be a really different design from the older XLS series. 2 U instead of 3 U and bridgeble. I noticed from the pics that they seem to have 2:eek: cooling fans. That could mean that they will run really cool, or that they run so hot that they need 2 fans. I really don't know much about this line of Crown's I do know that their Macro and Micro tech stuff is the sh!t, but, I don't think their lower priced stuff has ever caught on like you might think it should.

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So you think I would be better off with a QSC RMX?
    I was just concidering the Crown cause it weighs less than the RMX.

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'm not too fond of the cheaper Crown's, as the ones I've come across were all prone to failure. My friend has a CE1000 that is nothing but trouble and a powerbase2 that just plain doesn't work. I have another friend who bought an XLS402 and seems to be pretty happy with it, but he's only had it for about a month so I can't say anything about the reliability.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Crown amps get a pretty good rap in the PA circuit. I realise bass is different but these reviews aren't consistent with what I've heard.