1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crown XLS Series Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeVictim, Sep 18, 2010.

1. I am trying to put together a rig right now. I have a BFD Omni 15 and a Peavey Alpha Tube Bass Preamp. My Cab has the Eminence 3015LF so I need some wattage but budget is also going to be a factor.

I am looking at the 202 and 402 Crown amps. They would have to be bridged to get me where I want power wise. Found an ebay special for like $180 on the 202. Every where else is around $200. Has anyone had issues with theirs? Pros/Cons? :help:

Thanks.

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I use an XLS 1000 Drivecore power amp, bridged, which gives me 1100 watts into a 4 ohm load, 700 into an 8 ohm load . Weighs about 10 lbs. So far, no problems and all the power I'll ever need. You can find internet deals on them for less than $300. Check them out.

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    I've been using a pair of 402s and a 602 in my PA for a couple of years now without incident - although I don't bridge any of them... If I were you, rather than bridge a 202, I'd spend a little more money and buy a used 402 or 602, and use one or both channels without bridging...

- georgestrings

4. Maybe I should have named this thread, XLS 202 and 402D and alternatives in that price range.

I found a Stewart 1.2 in my area but I hear they have a real long depth and don't fit most standard racks. I am going to end up with about $275 after I finish unloading my gear and I still need a rack. I am looking for a power amp for around $200. I won't have any more budget than that. This is why I thought the XLS 202d would be perfect. It meets budget and in bridged mode, it meets power requirements.

I run a search on ebay, there isn't much local at all, and I get confused with some of these brands. I know Crown, Crest, QSC, Carvin, Peavey, Yamaha, and Stewart. I also hear Behringer is ok for power amps but I am a little wary of their gear.

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ugh. Get the XLS drivecore 1000 and enjoy being able to actually sell if when you're done with it, and the ~10lb weight.

6. I have been looking for a used one. I don't have the means for a new one.

Once I finish selling my head, I still have to get a rack and the power amp. I'll have around $275 total, $75 for a decent rack and $200 for a power amp. So far that XLS402D is the winner. Still checking ebay and still have to sell my Peavey Nitrobass before I can pull the trigger on anything so just trying to feel everything out.

Any opinions on the Stewart 1.2? Doesn't it have a large depth? Found a QSC RMX850 for decent $.

7. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Stewart stuff is of dubious quality for the price based on what I've seen. Lots and lots of overheating problems reported over the years.

You can get 30 bucks off the XLS 1000 @ rmcaudiodirect.com -- no chance of you saving another 70 bucks?

You could go without a rack for a while, or build one, or buy a used one from a pawn shop or something. I've gotten nice racks for as little as 20-30 dollars on craigslist.

8. There are no affordable racks within a 75 mile radius of me...

You would gig out with a pre and power amp with no rack? We aren't there yet, but would be playing out soon. I don't know how I feel about not having a rack. The only thing else I can sell is my guitar. But, I use it to write songs so, I really can't get rid of it. We just had to get a new practice space and thats eating extra money right now. So, no. I don't have any way of getting an extra $70.

Sucks, huh?

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've gigged with a bass head without a rack, and I've gigged with a power amp without a rack (just a pedal running into it). As long as you've got some kind of isolation between the amp and the cab (e.g. rubber feet or a granny pad).

If it came down to having a better power amp, I would absolutely consider it a viable sacrifice. A cheap rack will eventually pop up.

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
  11. I'll mull it over. Thanks RP.

12. Depends. If you carry yourself in your own car, you can cover amp/pre with blankets for transport, and be careful for a while. If you get the drivecore use the box it comes in for a while for transport. It'll hold up for a while. Better to do that short term and get a great power amp long term.

Randy

13. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I use the 602D at church. I got it for a PA but went powered speaker instead. Didn't have any takers on buying it craigslist so I got a BBE pre and set it up to leave at church. It does fine, especially since I don't need to get loud. But I don't think you're supposed to run it bridged at 4 ohms. The 602 can, but not the 602D. And the fan is kind of loud.

I wouldn't want to carry it around though. In the 4U rack it's all pretty heavy. Surprised you can't find a used rack for $50 on craigslist. But when using it for a PA I carried it without a rack.

14. I run an XLS 1500 bridged at 8 ohms through my LDS 15/6.5 cab, and I don't see myself needing any more volume. I'm using a BBE BMAX preamp. So far, so good.

15. You guys convinced me, I just got to finish selling off gear. What other cables will I need? Does the Drivecore have 1/4" outs or do I need something else. My preamp is 1/4" out. What in do I need?

Total pre/power noob here. Never done it before so all help is appreciated.

16. My 1500 Drivecore has both 1/4" and XLR inputs (as well as RCA).

17. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I know this is probably a stupid question but here goes. Do you guys use a speaker cable to connect your preamp to your power amp or do you use an instrument cable? I have a BDDI that I use as a pre-amp into the effects return of a GK BL600 and I use an instrument cable for that but I'm wanting to get a pure power amp and was wondering.

18. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Instrument. Balanced TRS is better if available, balanced XLR even better.

19. I use a standard TS instrument cable from my BBE BMAX into my Crown XLS 1500. From my understanding, if a balanced cable is called for, then a TRS cable would be better.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021