1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crown XLS402 => SVP PRO question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leftseptember, Jun 27, 2004.

  1. leftseptember


    Jun 26, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    My svp-pro has two 1/4" preamp output jacks...but the back of my crown only has two XLR jacks.

    My question: Is there a cable that will go from a dual XLR to a singl 1/4"? Since that's the way I'm running the amp, bridged...i need to plug into both of those XLR's.

  2. I don't know specifically about your power amp but from my experience there should be a bridge mono switch of some kind which allows you to use one input.
  3. I'm not fimiliar with the crown power amps, but on my QSC, the input accepts both XLR and 1/4 inch jacks. Though with that particular model of Crown power amps, I don't think it has a switch to bridge mono, but rather a cable. I'm sure such a cable exists, in which case, check radio shack.
  4. joeybcdt


    May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    a simple TRS to XLR will work. The ring will just be unused.
  5. leftseptember


    Jun 26, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Well, either way, this is what I need:

    I've yet to come across this. What exactly is this TRS?

  6. leftseptember


    Jun 26, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    So I bought two TRS (XLR-1/4") cables...and it still doesn't work. What the hell do I need to get this thing working?

    Also, I am considering just going and getting a QSC poweramp instead. Is it worth the extra money to save the extra pain in the ass this Crown is?
  7. metron

    metron Supporting Member

    Sep 12, 2003
    Are you using 1+ 2+ for the connection to your speaker? When you bridge an amp you have to use the positive terminals for each channel. The easiest way is to get a banana cableand connect the red terminal to 1+ and the black to 2+. If you are using a normal speakon cable then it has to be modified for 1+ 2+ connection at the amp end.

    I would only get a QSC if you think its a better amp. You will still need a modified speakon cable for a QSC amp in bridge mode. Once you get the cables connected properly then your amp should not be a pain in the a$$.
  8. leftseptember


    Jun 26, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I have the modified Speakon right now. It's just...the only inputs for the Crown are XLR. And the only outputs for the SVP are 1/4"...the QSC offers more variety as far as connections.
  9. Get yourself Two of these...and One of these...then you'll be good to go.

    Keep in mind that Crown is almost always used for PA support, where XLR is the NORM for sending a signal from the mixing board.
  10. Jerrold Tiers

    Jerrold Tiers

    Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The Speakon stuff doesn't come into this at all.

    The SVP-PRO has an unbalanced 1/4 inch output, the Crown has an XLR balanced input. Still no real problem, all you need is to hook up between them, which can be done.

    Crown does make this a pain in the butt, because there isn't a bridge mono switch on the Crown.

    The "TRS" didn't work because they left one of the XLR inputs open. That will either have low gain, or no signal, depending on the power amp input circuit. Also because of the silly Crown bridge mono setup, you probably were only getting "dual mono", but had the speaker hooked up for bridged.

    The "TRS" plug has 3 connections, the "tip", the "ring" and the "sleeve" . The Tip and sleeve are present on all 1/4 inch jacks.
    The "ring" is the extra metal part between the tip and sleeve that is present on a "stereo" plug such as headphones have.

    You want the kind of 1/4 inch plug with just the tip and sleeve.

    For the connection at the XLR end, see page 6 in the Crown manual. They show the needed hookup at the XLR jack for unbalanced inputs.


    The "pain-in-the-butt" part comes in because the folks at Crown DID NOT PROVIDE a "bridge mono" switch.

    You DO have to have a "Y" cable, and one of the connectors has to have the polarity reversed.

    I couldn't believe it either, but that's what it is...says so right in the manual on page 7. It even says you have to put both the Crown's volume controls at the same setting, which is yet another pain.

    Anyhow, so on one of the XLRs the wiring has to be with "signal" to pin 2 and shield to pins 3 and 1. On the other one, the "signal has to be wired to pin 3 and the shield to pins 1 and 2.

    It all would be much simpler if Crown had just put a bridge mono switch in the amp. They only cost about 30 cents in quantity......

    If you are not good at soldering wires, you may have to take the manual to a tech and show him what you need on pages 6 and 7 of the Crown manual. If the tech is "Crown savvy" he will know what you need.

    The SVP-PRO end of the wires is simple....signal to "tip", shield to "sleeve", just like every other 1/4 inch mono cable in the world.....
  11. Bob Lee (QSC)

    Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

    Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yeah, what Jerrold (Ampeg Insider) said. ;)

    You can get (or make) cables with any combination of connectors, so anything like a 1/4" output to an XLR input is no big deal at all.

    I can't fathom why Crown made the XLS amps so difficult to bridge, unless perhaps they figure the users in the target market should be discouraged from bridging an amp.

    The old QSC MX 700, and the even older MX 1500 and MX 2000, didn't have a bridge switch, either. You had to cross-connect the input screw terminals—channel 1 + to channel 2 - and channel 1 - to channel 2 +—and set the gain controls to the same position. You could use the screw terminal inputs or the 1/4" balanced inputs, but most users understandably used the 1/4" jacks. But at least they didn't have to fabricate an unusual Y cable. ;)
  12. leftseptember


    Jun 26, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Wow! That's a ton of work...I'm just going to probably get the QSC. Any idea what cables I would need for the hookup from that to the SVP?
  13. Jerrold Tiers

    Jerrold Tiers

    Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I believe all you will need is a single mono 1/4 inch interconnect cable. Basically the same thing as a guitar cable, but probably quite a bit shorter. Available everywhere, or easily makeable.

    The QSC input should accept the unbalanced signal into its 1/4 inch input just fine, you won't have to worry about special conections. Set the switch to bridge mono and go. No fuss, no muss, no hassle.

    On the other hand, you own the Crown, it's usually cheaper to use what you have, even if you have to go to some trouble to do it.

    Your choice.

    I kinda prefer QSC, myself, even though back in the dark ages I was a Crown certified technician.....when they made the DC300 amplifiers and reel-to-reel tape recorders!