Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crown XS 700

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jawzzz, Dec 20, 2003.

1. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Well, my new amp arrived today thanks to my wife. It is a Crown XS 700, one of the new line of amps from Crown. It is basically a clone of the QSC PLX series. This thing if incredible. It barely fits in my SKB case length wise(15.675"), but I gain an extra rack space due to it's low profile(2 rack spaces).I hooked it up and was blown away.

First of all, it is very loud!I have it hooked up in stereo to my Ampeg BXT 410(4 ohms), and SWR goliath III(8 ohms).It puts out 900 watts @ 2 ohms,750 watts @ 4 ohms, and 450 watts @ 8 ohms in stereo. In bridge it puts out 1900 watts @ 4 ohms and 1645 watts @ 8 ohms. Every note is very defined and crisp. The fan is a little noisy, but you can't hear it while playing.On the front panel there are LED lights for AC main power, power on/off, fault,bridge mode, and temperature along with a volume knob for each channel.The back has 1/4", XLR and phoenix style input connectors. The outputs are speakon and 5 way binding posts.

Although I have not tried QSC,I think that this is one of the better amps on the market today.

Now I need to get some earplugs.:D :bassist:

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I just have a few weeks on my XS500 and have pretty much the same impression you have of your XS700. I'm amazed at how much more clarity I get out of my XS500 running through two SWR Triads. I'm running it in stereo, at 4 ohms (500 W / channel).

The fan is noisy at idle but totally imperceptible when playing.

Peace,

James

3. Area these amps as light as the QSC equivalents?

I have seen them on Ebay and they do seem to be a bit cheaper than the QSC ones with simlar power ratings.

Pics anyone?

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Click here------->Crown XS

-Mike

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    No, definitely not a PLX clone.

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Just curious,

How does the CE series stack up against the XS series. What's the difference?

7. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    The XS series are a little heavier than the QSC PLX by roughly seven pounds and I believe they are longer.

Bob, what are some of the differences between the PLX and the XS other than the above?

j-raj, The Xs series are lighter than the CE series, and it sounds a little more crisp, but that could be because I now have more headroom. I went with the XS because 1)I wanted more headroom 2)I wanted a two space amp so I could have my wireless in the same rack as the pre amp and amp.With your GS112's the CE 1000 will be plenty of power.

I was running a Goliath III one one side side and a BXT 410 on the other and it was loud.But in my current band, I am going up against a Marshall full stack, and a Mesa half stack, and I don't want to get drowned out.;) :bassist:

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I haven't dissected or put an XS through its paces, but right on the spec sheet I can see that the signal-to-noise specs are widely different. That suggests something.

9. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    So the Crown has more noise than the QSC? All those spec start to confuse me. I have not tried them head to head either so I would not really know the difference between them. So far though, the Crown has been very quiet, and has a very good response to it, with every note being clear and defined.