Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crown XS Series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, May 27, 2004.

1. Anyone have any experience with these amps (or any Crown amps for that matter)? They're pretty new but I was wondering if anyone had any yet. How do they compare agains the QSC PLX series? The reason I'm asking is I'm looking for a lightweight, about 700-800 watts at 2 ohms poweramp, for as cheap as possible (any suggestions are appreciated). Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Crown amps rule. I see alot of people using QSC amps on here but not many using crown. I use a Crown MacroTech 1200 in the PA and its by far the best power amp Ive ever used. Ive used Peavey, Crest, PSL, Citronic, Carver but the Macrotech kicks serious ass. For bass I use Trace Elliot Valve gear but for anything else these would be my first choice.

3. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I have a Crown XS 700 and it kicks !@#! It is very loud, but quiet when it is supposed to be. I have not yet had a problem with it. It is also very flexible for hooking it up(XLR, 1/4" , phoenix input, speakon, bannana output). It is just as good as any QSC IMO.

4. If not better (ive not used that model QSC) I presume it has the IOC and ODEP on it like the macrotech?

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I am a fan of Crown gear as well. I love it. QSC gets a lot pf play around here, and for good reason, it is great as well.

Crown has always done the job for me, and always will for my power amp needs.

-Mike

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    The Crown Micro- and MacroTechs are well known workhorses in the pro sound industry. Definitely good stuff. Heavy, though, and they draw a lot of current. The MA-2400 and up require a 20 amp outlet, so they can be kinda inconvenient for a bass rig.

Also, the CE4000 has a real good reputation; this does not apply to the rest of the CE line, though. The 4000 is a completely different design from the lower wattage CE's.

Haven't heard much of anything yet on the XS series 'cause they're pretty new.

Generally speaking, any Crown product is at least decent, and will probably do just fine for you if you don't treat it roughly. The Micro- and MacroTechs, well, you can pretty much toss them down the stairs if you want, and they're still gonna work fine.

A lot of people like QSC because they're priced right, and they're built and perform well. The PLX line is especially nice because you can get gobs o' wattage without breaking your back - very lightweight.

I use QSC PLX for my bass rig, but I've got some Crown in the PA. If I'm hauling the PA gear, I'm gonna be using a dolly anyway, so weight isn't as much of an issue.

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Doubtful. The XS line is very basic, affordable stuff. No bells and whistles.

8. For bass...hands down a Crown K2 is all a man (or woman) could ask for! And no fan...+++++

9. I definitely agree with Bruce on the CE series. I bought a CE-1000 when they first came out and the clipping while slapping or "digging in" was scary , to say the least - even went into thermal shutdown twice. Great choice for midrange / highs , but NOT for bass applications. I picked up a used Macro Tech 1200 and it is all the power I will ever need (or even WANT , for that matter!!). You can get them used for about $500 , and for your power needs you will only have to run 1 side of the amp , essentially giving you 2 amps for $500 ......

10. Big votes for the ever great Macrotechs! Anyone use Carver amps for bass? We use two PT2400s on the subs in the PA and they do kick out some thump, damn heavey tho...!

11. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Do a search for "Crown XS". You'll see that someone else had an XS 1500 and it would not work well at 4 ohms bridged, and Crown even recommended against using it that way. I suspect the XS is a budget amp and performs as such.

To me, a used MA/MT 1200 or 2400 will beat the pants off any new XS.

12. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I think you are referring to the XLS amps, not the XS series. I have bridged my XS numerous times, all with good results.

13. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    What? They're not the same thing? :D

14. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado