1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crown XTi 1000 power amp internal limiter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rogue5, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Rogue5

Rogue5

Feb 22, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm just wondering what the proper limiter set would be for my situation.
    LIM (Limiter for Ch. 1 or Ch. 2): The amplifier can be
    set to hard-limit signals at one of these thresholds:
    • –3 dB below clip
    • –6 dB below clip
    • –12 dB below clip.
    That being said I have an Alembic F-1X pre-amp,Alembic SF-2 Superfilter in the fx loop and going into the Crown which is bridged.This is hooked up to an Eden D4x10XLT and an Eden 2x10XST,both 8ohm,hooked in series and that's drops the ohm level to 4 which makes the Crown pump out 1400 watts.
    What would be a proper limit setting for this beast?

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    3db should be fine.

3. Rogue5

Rogue5

Feb 22, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks.Kinda thought so but lately one of the bands I just started working for wants desperately to be louder than God himself and I noticed the clip light blipping a little more frequently than normal.The other bands I work for the clip is never an issue.

4. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    None.

Is this a trick question? FWIW I'd set the gain structure to the Crown so it all sounded good, and then use the Crown's Ch. 1 knob to set volume... no limiter needed if you listen to what going on cause that Crown's gonna run out of gas before you blow anything unless you are going batpoopiecrazy uphill somehow.

PS: you're going to parallel [not series wire] two 8 ohm cabs to 4 ohms right?

5. I would run one cab on each channel and control the power to each with the DSP. Otherwise the 210 gets half the power so the stack would be unable to work with any more than what the 410 can run with by itself anyway. 1400W limited 3dB is 700W.

In stereo with no limiter engaged you'll have some 275W RMS on tap per cab plus peaks, plenty enough for farting even the 410 I would guess. You'll have to play about with the DSP to send a bit less to the 210's channel so it farts out at the same time, then use your ears so nothing farts out.

6. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Oooo - so these aint matching cabs... well there's your problem.

7. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Isn't this mentioned in the manual?