1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crown XTI-2 Series; any trouble driving the input?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Jun 29, 2012.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    The input sensitivity of these amps is 1.4V.... many preamp (both rack and floor) manufacturers do not publish the output of their pre's.....

Anyone have any experience with these issues?

I'm considering an XTI to get a little (lot) more power out of my rig.....

2. I looked at those for a quick minute when shopping for a power amp. The one I ended up with kind of fell in my lap at an amazing price barely used still in its original box.

That said it does have a great sensitivity rating. The pre-amp I was using at the time had enough juice to drive anything, but im happy I ended up with what I have.

Things to consider.

Which pre amp are you thinking of using and what kind of out put does it have.

Will the sensitivity rating work with other Pre's down the line? Tonal preferences change. One of the most appealing aspects of a pre/power is the versatility of it. Limiting yourself with the power section is something to be aware of.

Additional features are some times worth the concessions on other specs. DSP and limiters can be very useful.

What pre are you considering using?

3. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I have a Crown XLS which has the same sensitivity. I have zero problems driving it with my Sansamp RPM rack pre. My Presonus Studio Channel didn't drive it nearly as hard. My VT Bass pedal cannot drive it hard without extreme settings. Many of the floor pedals will not have enough to fully drive it. They will get the job done, just not as well.

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Sorry, sort of OT here, but anyone lacking enough voltage swing to drive a power amp fully (a power amp that otherwise strongly appeals) can go grab an ART Tube MP to go between the last effect and the power amp. Those tube MPs will drive anything imo/ime. Straight off the spec page: Maximum Output Level +28dBu (XLR), +22dBu (1/4"). That's some big honkin' output. And they'll even work as a direct box in a pinch. Can't go wrong for the money. Hope this helps.

5. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    That's interesting.
    I currently have your Presonus (via cableguy) in my PA rack.
    According to the manual, its internal operating level is 0dBu (which I believe means .775 volts) and has 10dB of makeup gain available. Unless you had a lot of gain reduction going on in the compressor stage or didn't have the gians controls set high enough, it should have easily been able to put out 1.4volts.

I'll know more after I get the rack finished and configured and do some gain staging.

6. thudfromafar

thudfromafar Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    ^from my experience, it can put out enough to drive the XLS.
    but, you will have about ~1/4 turn of headroom left, which makes it seem like there's not so much gas left in the tank.

7. barryaudio

barryaudio

Feb 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Authorized Builder: fEARful bass, greenboy designs, Bill Fitzmaurice
    I've used Presonus Tube Pre, BBE BMax-T, and a Demeter HBP1 without any issue. Those preamps all run pretty hot. If you are trying to drive it with a pedal preamp, you may have issue, but any rack pre will be just fine (usually with +22to+28dBu). As noted above, anything below +10dBu will be weak.