1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crown XTi power amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnny5, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    Anyone had any experience with these - most notably the XTi 1000? (1400w Bridged Mono at 4 ohms) I'm thinking of running it with an SVP-CL through my Avatar B410 Neo.
    I just got an SVT-3Pro and realized I could have a TON more headroom for the same price, still with the tube pre. It makes me uneasy to think I could be getting so much more..

2. jkdahlman

jkdahlman Ambitious But Rubbish

Jul 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I've been gigging with mine for about 9 months now. Something around 100 gigs, give or take. Never let me down driving an Acme B2, a pair of Epi T110's or an old Bag end 15.I use it with either a Trace MK V pre or an Avalon U5 & a UREI 535 EQ (for room correction),depending on the gig. It's been through eveything from duet gigs to crazed big bands to R&R power trios.
    The worst that's happened is the fan comes on for a short time:)
    Quadzilla was over this evening and heard it with the Avalon & Epi's (playing my Stambaugh 8) maybe he can give you an unbiased opinion of the sound.
    I wouldn't be without mine. That much power & 17 pounds is too cool. Oh yeah, the DSP is pretty cool to have.
    HTH
    John

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The DSP sounds like a great idea for multiple cabinet setups. You can store a preset for each setup you use.

4. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Nice thread! I want to replace my Crown UL2020 (CE2000) with the Xti 2000. (I like headroom. Sue me.) The UL2020 sounds incredible, but at around 45 lbs. it's just too damn heavy for my old-ish back.

I'm wondering if the XTi will have that fat "Crown" tone. Would do you all think?

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on an XTi. They have great a power/weight/size/price story but the DSP scared me off. There have been some teething problems with them (search on http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/ in the LAB for some folks experience) and watching PODs and v-drums have problems with sketchy power at clubs has me gun-shy about relying on digital equipment (which is too bad as there's some great stuff out there).

I can't comment on the sound as I've not had one.

If Crown had a non-DSP version or if the DSP could be completely bypassed I'd have bought one -- it looks like the signal path is always digitized according to this diagram on the Crown site:

[​IMG]

I could be wrong as I haven't asked Crown directly about it but from the documentation they provide it looks like the signal goes through A/D and D/A stages even with the DSP off. And I personally want my power amp to be an analog power amp only.

YMMV :)

6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    I had to send my XTi 2000 back to Crown after a few months' use. It was a really strange problem, but it's been golden since they've sent it back to me.

7. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    What was the problem with it?

8. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    +1.

9. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    just got my crown xti 1000 plugged in. have a peavey tmax amp (line out) --> XTI. Should be exactly like running my own amp, but for some reason this sounds amazing. Maybe its self-fullfilling GAS, but I'm really liking this setup

Someone want to give some useful links for using the computer interface?

10. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Sorry, forgot about this thread.

It would sound distorted/clipping at low volumes. Crown paid for shipping both ways and it was fine. I think I used it for 6-8 months after that before moving on to a different setup.

11. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    Mine sounds great and I have not had any problems at all. I did talk to Crown and the early ones had DSP problems as well as problems with the pots shorting out. Mine is an older one and I plan on sending it back for a chip and pot upgrade as soon as my band takes a break.

12. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I bought my XTI 1000 from Quad about 6 months ago.It's light,has lots of power and no problems yet.I like it.