1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

crowning files

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, May 4, 2010.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have been using the LMI FW74 fret wire

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Fretting&NameProdHeader=+Fretwire

and the medium Dual grit diamond fret file from stew-mac

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Frettin...d_Fret_Files/Dual-grit_Diamond_Fret_File.html

I am wondering if my file is wearing out. It gets pretty warm while working it.

How do you all tell if your files are shot. It happens so gradually it is tough for me to know.... OK time to replace it.....

How many fret jobs do you fine these are good for?

Is there a better file you would recommend?

Thanks ....tom

2. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    wow nobody...interesting

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    I can chime in with my experience.

Files will usually wear when they are clogged. Diamond coated files will only wear if they are cutting other diamonds, or the adhesive fails. You should be able to see and areas that have worn away if that is the case.

You and I are using the same file so I am not sure how to tell you if we have different wear. Are you able to take a pic?

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks I have been cleaning it out with wire brushes but since I have been doing several stainless fret jobs I was just wondering if they can get dull or possibly I am just expecting too much.
    Tom

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    I wouldn't expect the diamond files to wear from the stainless. I might expect them to clog quickly. Perhaps that is part of what you are seeing. You might consider keeping an old tooth brush on hand for cleaning these. I find that wire file brushes don't clear as well as nylon brushes.

6. I haven't used the diamond files but I DO use diamond blades for stone and tile work all the time. Mikey is right that the diamonds won't dull but the "adhesive" that holds the little diamond bits WILL wear away. Probably won't wear away at the same rate as a diamond blade cutting marble all day, but the end result should be the same. I've heard of stainless frets ruining diamond files. You might try asking Simon Fay how he deals with the stainless fretwire.

Edit: For clearing debris out of files I like to use one of those cheap "chip" brushes and cut the bristles down(1/2" or less). However, There is no substitute for a metal bristle brush for the really stubborn stuff.

7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Bought my 1st Gaurian file in '82, still works to this day, then bought the Dunlop version in 2002 and it works well also. I have used the 2 sided Stew Mac diamond file, not my favorite, bu servicable. It all depends what you were brought in with.

8. The F-Bomb

The F-Bomb

Mar 3, 2007
    Vancouver BC
    I'm currently reading the Trade Secrets book from Stew Mac and it mentions that a regular pencil eraser works to clean diamond files.

Haven't tried it myself but I'd trust that book.

Cheers

9. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks all good tips.....t