Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crud. A "professional sound company."

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, here's the lowdown. My band is playing at a gig called "First Night San Diego" on New Year's Eve. Seven stages, lots of exposure, not a bad gig, overall. The PA will be run by a "professional sound company." Wellll, I hope they're good. Maybe we'll get to play through a Midas board and some EAW or Renkus-Heinz cabinets.

Hey! I know! I'll look up the contractor's web site. Let's seeeeee ... mixers. Uhhhh, Carvin, Audio Centron, Behringer. Oh wow, they do have a Mackie 24-4. What about the speakers ... uhhhh, Carvin. Outboard effects? Carvin, Behringer, Samson. Power amps? Carvin, a few lower-end QSC. At least they have some Shure mics, 57's and 58's. We can use our own Betas, though.

I never dreamed that I'd be hoping against hope that we got a Mackie board to get the best of them. Don't get me wrong, we do play through a Mackie board, but I believe a Midas Venice is in our future. At least we have Lexicon, dbx and Aphex outboard stuff.

The worst of it is that our sound is going to be run by a stranger. Eek!

2. Nevertheless, I'll take a competent sound man through a Carvin rig, over an idiot running a $20,000 setup.

Hope you get a competent guy and not the idiot, and that it works out better than expected.

3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Very true, Bill, but my fear is that we'll get the idiot on the Carvin gear.

4. Kind of a side thing, but is this the First Night thing in Escondido? Or is it the one on the Embarcadero?

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Is the same company providing gear for all even stages? I hope so. At least you'll all suck evenly.

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Embarcadero. The band is Mass Transit. We're on from 8:50 to 10:30 on the 103.7 The Planet Classic Rock Stage.

I think he must be subbing a bunch of them out. I don't think he has enough "equipment" to do more than a couple stages.

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Meh. Better than what First Night Bakersfield has. Freakin OLD peavey stuff. :p

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Munji how did the gig go?

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    It went great. It turned out that he indeed subbed out our stage, and we ended up with EAW mains, JBL monitors, Crown power amps and a Yamaha board. All run by a friendly, competent sound guy. Every other stage was Carvin, Carvin, Carvin, all with that boxy sound that made Carvin famous.

There is a god, and it's on our side.