Cruel fates! Why dost thou mock me so? (help me find a second amp!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Basically, I need a second amp. My current one, while a good little tyke, is just that -- a little tyke. Peavey Microbass, my friends. I was going to get the SWR Workingman 112 -- I figured, hey, BassPlayer said it was an excellent amp for the price, so I figured it'd be around $600 or 700. Ha, I was right. Only it's $600 American currency, something I just can not afford. My plan is to split with my parents on this for Christmas -- my money limit is $800 CAD. What I need is versatility. Versatility is the name of the game!

...or something. Anyway. I don't need any fluff -- 3 band EQ, input, on/off switch. If I'm going head and cab setup, I'll bump up the price limit to $900 (and if I'm going head an cab, I'll be buying an Avatar B210, so that's like $400 CAD I think). Portability isn't a huge issue, as there aren't exactly many 15" speakers or 60lb bass heads when you're on a price limit like I am.

Oh, anywhere from 80-120 watts as well. I don't exactly lust for a tube amp sound, so I'm not going to pay more for it. I still need money to pay for university in a couple years and a bass soon after this.
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario Please?
  3. check out some avatar cabenets. and for a head you can get a cheap pre/power amp setup. im saving for a berhinger europower 1500 and a sans amp RBI pre amp.
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Indeed, if I go head/pre&power and a cab setup, I'll be getting the Avatar B210 cab. If you can reccomend a bass head for about $400 or a pre/power setup for about the same, I'd be mighty grateful.
  5. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    On ebay you could pick up a SWR BASS 350 head for $300-$400 USD "red face" models are older, but probably pretty solid and cost less on ebay. New ones are $1150!!! I've got the pre-x silverface and like it. I use it with an RBI through the loop to smooth the sound, but it does sound pretty good by itself too. I bought mine used. $560, but that was a newwermodel. redface = $300, Silver=$400-600, 350x=?
  6. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Here are some possibilities for you. Good luck!

an older carvin pb500 head:

Ampeg SVT400T head:

Ampeg SVT3 head:

beatup ampeg B100-R:

Ampeg B2 Combo:

Fender Bassman 400 combo:

Fender Bassman 100 combo:
  7. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    go for a combo!

you'll be getting more for your money.

Try out GK backlines, ashdown electric blue, or if you go on ebay you might find some sort of deal.
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Canadian currency. $400 Canadian currency. I also specified anywhere from 80-120 watts. I don't need or want anything more. Please, read my posts if you're going to reply. I'm not trying to sound snotty, but every time a new reply pops up my hopes go up too, only to see someone wasting their time posting because the information the post is useless to me and they could have saved us both the trouble by just reading the bloody post.

Whoa, some more people replied while I was posting that. This was direct at McCrelly, I'll check those other ones out now. Thanks guys!
  9. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I don't know what your currency convert to USD, but if you spend less than $400USD you're asking for disappointment. WM-12 is great and expandable with speaker out.

P.S. DON'T WASTE OUR TIME BY ASKING US TO HELP YOU BUY C-R-A-P-!-!-! We've been where you are and we know how frustrating it can get to buy just a slightly better amp and be disapponinted a few weeks or months down the road. 80-120 is only good for your bedroom or a VERY small basement band. Thats my opinion! :spit:

sorry, I'm in a bad mood today!:mad:
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Listen McCrelly, when I ask for what you deem "crappy", then I want what you deem as "crappy". I don't need or have the money for a 350 watt amp and a 4x10 cabinet. I don't care if you've had a bad day, I don't want to hear your crap in my thread. I wanted help, and you didn't provide. If you can't be bothered to figure out the conversion or are incapable of realizing (without knowing the conversion, even it's fairly obvious) that $400 USD is much higher than $400 CAD, then don't post in my thread. If you read this and intend on replying with more of your crap, then don't reply. I don't want to hear it. Contribute or piss off. It's a simple choice.

If you're not going to read my posts or you've had a bad day and can't be bothered putting any thought at all into your reply, then do not reply. This is the last time I'm saying this.

Cobrasneverdie, I'm thinking the GK stuff seems like it might be exactly what I need, but the Behringer has quite the attractive price tag -- although your "not a tone freak" comment has me worried. What's wrong with the sound on it?
  11. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i don't see why, if you have a microbass, you want to buy another small weak amp.

you will just out grow it once you start playing with other people or in public. so you may as well just get something along the lines of what some of these replies have offered.

and you really should not complain when people simply TRYING TO HELP YOU!!!

i think in the end you'll see the wisdom in what they had listed as possibilities. or at least i hope so.

BTW - buying used, an swr WM12 will go for about $350 US.

12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    dude *** is your problem...
    hes trying to help you out..
    that stuff right there is more bang for the buck...
    and yes if you have a practice amp..why buy another practice amp?

a hard lesson to learn is buy the higher end stuff rather than cheaper stuff then work your way up to that stuff 6 months down the road...

and those heads are under $400 canadian..

so whats the deal?

F***in cool down....if you don't want to take somebodys advice then don't ask for it..go search yourself..we don't have to help you..but he did..and thats how you repay him?

nice...thats nice really

:rolleyes: some people

13. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.

Easy now, folks are just trying to help.
  14. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    anyways people?!

You may want to check out long & mcquade or steves music. I'm from Canada too and went through some of the same stuff but I still managed to find a half decent price. If you look you will probobly be able to find an amp in your price range.

However this amp will be only a little step further in volume and tone. For a garage band these amps will do but anything involving venues bigger than a coffee house you'd be pushing the limits.

You might even want to hold off on buying an amp for now if you only plan on practising. Holding could lead you to the amp that you really need, the amp you really like and save you a lot of money.
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario do realize I was talking to McCrelly, right? And that the heads he recommended -- 350 watts and up -- were all around $400 USD? And that $400 USD is around $600 CAD? And $600 CAD is about $200 more than what I specified? I don't think you understand that I cannot afford more than $800 for an amp, and if I'm buying a head, I need a cab as well. If I were going head and cab, the cab I would be getting would be the Avatar B210 -- $229 USD. That's around $340 Canadian. Leaving me with $560 CAD. Note that I'm stretching my budget a whole lot at this point -- and by a whole lot, I mean if I use all $800, I probably won't be able to afford the Geddy jazz bass for another four months after buying the amp. I'm thanking people who actually help, and my snotty comments were directed at McCrelly only, and that's because he didn't bother read my price limit or what I wanted in wattage. He didn't care enough to read what I posted, and frankly, he did not help.
    Also, 80-120watts is not a practice amp for me. I do not need 400 or 500 watt amps -- I'm only fifteen. I do not need that kind of power and I certainly do not have the money to pay for it. I don't have 3 gigs a night at screaming nightclubs or outdoor venues. A 120 watt combo will serve me a while -- at least until next summer, and by then, I will have money to get a proper setup.
    If I can get the Behringer head and the Avatar B210 cab, I'll be set for a couple of years. There's a small problem with the Behringer in that Musician's Friend doesn't ship to Canada, but I can probably get one at Steve's Music Store in Toronto. Plus, it would be far under budget.
    Frankly, the reason I didn't want anything above 120 watts is because after that, prices seem to go up -- a lot, and I'm not willing to pay through the nose, ears, and tear ducts for something that I really don't need.

I think steve_man is right -- I don't have a band right now and I won't need the amp for a while even after one is started (Coffee Houses at the school have an amp already there for use). The Microbass will suit my needs for now (Peavey Microbass, by the way -- 20 watts of flopping non-power).
  16. rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    You could do MUCH worse than a Behringer BX1200 combo, they go for $250 USD and are 120 watts into a single aluminum-coned 12".
  17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002

Wheee! Then again, this might be exactly what I'm looking for. Hmmm...I'll check it out. Thanks man.
  18. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    all the heads are not around $400...the carvin head is at $227......and dude if youre just goin to be a complete dick...don't ask for help...go look your self.....don't ask other people to do your job....youre just another lazy kid..get up and go look around..

with that carvin head...lets say 300 us at the most after shipping then 210 for the is that?

then you won't have to buy an amp next can spend that money on a really nice cab..or bass...ive learned this listen..your goin to look back and go man if i just waited a little longer..or if i just would have waited a little longer to buy this...i could have this instead....

learn from other peoples mistakes...history is bound to repeat its self if you don't learn it...

and if you don't want to take this advice..then just delete the thread because you are just wasting space that other people can actually use to learn something.....this forum is to learn joke..etc...not because you are lazy..and can't look yourself

some people are jsut ignorant and won't learn until they screw up..they think that there right
    15 year olds think they know everything

19. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    and wth....the ampeg combo amp is at $99!!!
    its just what you asked for....he went and searched for all those and all you do is go off on him...

manners??? just no thanks thats not what im looking you think that he did that practice his cut and paste skills...

you need to think before you type...