Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cruise ship gigs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by alembic76407, Jan 17, 2006.

1. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    does anyone have a cruise ship gig ? and how did you get ?
    do you have to audition or what?

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Yes you need to audition, and usually a (band)video for an agent. Some gigs require sight reading, some don't. Some cruise liners allow you to mingle with passengers, some don't. They are usually contract-based. Some require a physical.

Hope this helps,

3. A friend, former band mate of mine did it for a while. If I remember correctly he was hired by a band leader who was in the music union. My guess is cruise liners use agencies to hire bands so If you know the right people you can get the job.

My buddy did eventually get kick off for fraternizing with the guest! He could mingle with the passengers but the big rule was, never go to their room. As an employee of the ship he had very meager accommodations that was shared with another band member. Well, I guess temptation got the better of him one night and he had to leave at the next port, then get an airplane ticket home.

4. vinniepooh

vinniepooh

Aug 19, 2006
    Hello
    I am Vinnie
    I ve done audition In Proship,
    I think,if You want to get the job You must be with PERFECT SIGHT READING.
    This is the most important than everything,in my opiniuon.
    I am open to share, more Information about this Job,
    On the Cruise Ship.
    So I can help to somebody,If somebody need it.
    I have the BEST TOOL,to know how to apply.
    How to write resume for the company.
    Where To Put,How to get Links.
    In one Word Everything that can help To You,To be successful.
    I will really happy to Help You.
    So If You want it,make with me connection.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have to ask why the hell anyone would seek out a cruise ship gig. They are the worst. The pay is terrible, the work is hard and long (I once saw a band do 4 hours on the deck in the daytime as a steel drum band, then take a 2 hour break, change and do 4 hours as a top 40 band), the bosses are jerks, and the accomodations are awful. I turn down every cruise ship gig I have been offered unless I get passenger status and a cabin of my own. Needless to say, I only get a cruise ship gig about once every 2 years, and I'm happy with that.

6. vinniepooh

vinniepooh

Aug 19, 2006
    JimmyM
    I understood that You dont like this pressure,but lot of people
    looking for this job,doesnnt matter the price.
    If You are living under the WAR,everything will be better than...War...So...
    I hope that You can understand me.
    I am living in Israel....

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well that puts it in perspective, huh? Yeah, even a cruise ship gig is better than the conditions you have to live with in Israel. But the original poster lives in Oklahoma, which is not under siege by anything other than the occasional tornado, so my bewilderment at someone seeking out a cruise ship gig was more directed to him than you. In any event, I hope you can land the gig and get out of Israel until it calms down a little. Nobody should have to live like that.

8. Marksb_2000

Marksb_2000

Jun 2, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    I did a cruise ship gig for 6 months back in the early 80s. If you are thinking about that kind of work, there are a few things youneed to keep in mind.

Positives:

Even thought the pay is not great, you have no expenses at all, and the pay is cash and tax free. I made about 500 a week in 1983.

When the ship is in ports of call, you are off and free to leave the ship. All the big cruise ship destinations have areas that cater to the crews that the tourists dont know about.

I did nine months on a ship right after college and walked of the ship with about 15 grand.

Negatives:

At least a 6 month contract and some cruise lines will hold your passport as a term of employment.

You will have an inside cabin: Very small and no window.

If you are prone to drinking too much, you will become an alcholic.

You will get fat.

You will have between 4 and 6 hours at your home port once a week to get off the ship and take care of all personal buisness. The turn around time between cruises is very fast.

You do the same 7 day cruise every week. It gets very tedious. I only played three hours every evening on my gig, so there is lots of down time.

If you are young, no commitments and are self disiplined, it is a great way to bank some money.

One final note...Lots of Cruise companys are hiring mainly Filipino bands, becasue they are really good and work very cheap.

I hope this helped

Mark

9. I just went on a 4 night Disney cruise and the band was from the Phillipines (they were called Ntwine). They were good and seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Our cabin host was telling us that Disney was one of the better cruise lines to work on since they cater to families and you don't have to deal with drunks as much.

10. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Some people in Poland who don't mind being away from family work on cruise ships - musicians and otherwise. Basically work for six months and come back with what's still a good amount of money here. We've got lots of decent music schools and are cheap labor. There are quite a few "musician wanted" ads here for cruise ships, circus bands, Arab countries (in bars for foreigners) etc. I know a trumpet player who did that kind of thing for 40 years.

11. bass phan

bass phan

Aug 27, 2006
    gettin a gig on a cruise would be a dream

but

what do the contracts limit you to?
    and how long is a cruise generally?