Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cruise ship rig suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Mar 20, 2003.

1. I could very well be headed out on a 14 week stint with this band here; http://www.newmusiccanada.com/genres/artist.cfm?Band_Id=5324 I am looking forward to the challenge but am a little stumped as to deciding what gear (if any) I should bring along. I live on the westcoast and will have to get my ass to NYC for this. I could drive and bring along anything I needed, rent something in NY or just bring along my SABDDI to run through the PA (not something I'd be fond of really.) Do i bring along a small rig say, my GK 400RB and Eden D210XLT? My usual rig with my F-1X/PLX 3002 +two EB 2x12's seems like overkill (obviously.) I will be packing my Warwick Thumb5 for this gig I am fairly sure.
    Any other cruise ship-experianced players out there who can share their experiances gear-wise or other? Like, how not to blow your earnings out of sheer boredom or become a drunk?
    ;)

2. I don't know the line yet, still in the proto-stages here. I would be playing my Warwick and don't own a stand up.
    good tips re: the food. Were you allowed full access to the onboard facilities? Entertainment, excersize facilities, etc?
    If I was to fly out, would the SABDDI be preferable/do-able or would I really want to consider some sorta rental?
    Thanks for the info!

3. generally no huh? That sounds like a recipe for some serious boredom. definitely some "off limits" areas too huh? Ok, this is enlightening, thanks.

4. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    the webmaster of www.bass101.com is the director of music of some sort of cruise ship line. If you go to the website, theres some stuff about him, and maybe you would be able to contact him. I think his name is scott.

I belive that he does cruise ship gigs all the time, he posted some pics from one of his trips, it looked like an awesome gig(for a few weeks anyway)

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I went on a cruise this past summer and ended up talking to the bassist of the jazz band.

He seemed to be allowed to the regular passenger areas for the most part, and wasnt really held back except by his gigging schedule. The other bassit I didnt see around though.

I wouldnt recommend the Sans Amp. He played on different parts of the ship and there wasnt always a PA there. He used a Hartke Kickback 12 with an upright for the most part, and was fine. I think the Eden would be a good idea, but you might want to ask about the size of the rooms you will be playing ahead of time to get a better idea.

Depending on where you are playing, alot of if could either be on deck where the party is, or in the dinning hall or lounge where people would like the volume low.

Try to find out exactly where you will be playing before you decide on what to bring.

Peace
    Nick

6. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    A Kickback 12? Strange coincidence, but I took a cruise last week and saw a lounge bass player playing an EUB through a Kickback 12. Was it on Carnival?

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yup, the Carnival Victory to be exact.

But he was playing a regular upright with piezos. Fishman I believe.

Peace
    Nick

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've played on a cruise ship once. It was with my show choir last year during spring break on Majesty of The Seas c/o Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. I was allowed to use the amp of the guy who played for the plays/performances in the big Auditorium/theater thingy. It was either a Peavey TKO or TNT 15 w/a countryman Direct box. I think the guy was from poland and was playing an Ibanez 6 and some sort of EUB 5. The Calypso/Reggae band that was playing on the pool deck stage had a full stack [think it was a 4X10+15]. The lounge bassist was playing through some sort of 1X15 combo or 1X12 think it was a Hartke. Enjoy you're time on the ship. Thats all

9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Would People ever bring Carved uprights on cruise gigs? Or is it Plywood only?

How is that salty sea air?

AJ

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think I remember the guy saying it was plywood.

Peace
    Nick

11. I think an SABDDI is some kind of Naval acronym for a bass amp containing a built-in floatation device.

12. After spending four years in the Navy (3 at sea on a guided missile cruiser)....

My suggestion is this:

Take the casters off of the bottom of the cabinet.

13. Oh, and don't bother ordering a pizza.

14. Oh Oh Oh

Bring the big rig! The other bandmates will totally love you for your excesses! Make sure to make the passangers *feel* the bass.

:D

15. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Another solution might be to drive or fly to New York and then buy a small rig there -- maybe a combo that would be easy to tote onto the ship.

Finish the gig 14 weeks later, then sell the amp before you head back to the West Coast.

16. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    haha:D :D

dont want your cabs rolling off the side of the ship during a storm.