Crunch some numbers for me...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Mcdonalds at $6.75/40h = $270 a week/1080 a month. According to mapquest:

Total Est. Time: 8 minutes Total Est. Distance: 3.89 miles

I have an opportunity to get a different job at $8 an hour, 40 hours a week... but heres the rub:

It is 45 minutes away. I would be picking grapes, and taking my 15 year old cousin with me. My aunt and uncle would pay half my gas...

Lets say regular unleaded is $2.25 a gallon....

According to mapquest, from my house to Arvin (where i would be working)

Total Est. Time: 39 minutes Total Est. Distance: 28.67 miles

My truck gets about 20 miles per gallon highway... maybe a bit more... 22?

$8/40h = $320 a week/1280 a month.

So, is that extra $1.25 really worth it? I get gas once every week and half or so now... costs me around $37 to fill up....

With my and and uncle paying half, thats only what? $18.50 outta my pocket?

I would do this in a heart beat if I could still do 20 or so hours a week at mcdonalds...

now, GO MATHLETES!
  2. Dude, take it. It'll look way cooler on resumes, you won't be working at a Mickey D's, and you'll be outside all day, every day.
  3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'll take door C, Bob.

(They both suck)
  4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i had a similar situation

more money is more money

plus, like what Indi86 said, you'll be outside.
  5. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    The only reason to not take that job would be the driving. Not even thinking about paying for gas, extra wear on your car, etc, is the fact that you will be driving for an hour and a half every day. That gets old really quick. But if you can deal with that, go for it. Picking grapes beats the heck out of McDonalds.

edit: I just noticed McDonalds is only 8 minutes from your house. If it were me, I'd probably stick with that just for the incredible convenience of not having to wake up until 15 minutes before work.
  6. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Dude, I totally respect your work ethic and desire to acheive. HOWEVER....I don't think "Migrant farm worker" is a resume bullet.

I've never done it but alot of my family made some pretty good seasonal change in Washington state picking apples and cherries in's bust butt work.

I've never worked at a McD's either but all jobs bite sooner or later and there is a career path at McDonalds that can lead to franchise ownership and that ain't nuthin' to sneeze at.

I do however have a lot of experience with long commutes to work. THAT is an expensive grind. Don't kid youself thinking "It's just sitting there listening to the radio in the AC"

I used to drive oh...35 miles one way into the city to work just because I could earn $6.00 more per hour if I did. Thats about the break even point of it being worthwhile IMHO. So, if it's not twice the money you're making's a good economy and with the work ethic you have, you can work anywhere.

Good luck
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

With that said, I would agree 100% with bikertrash82
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    There's only one REAL answer. Reapply to be a sandwich artist.
  9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Already did... at the ones owned by someone else... no calls back.... i think they know each other.

hey, i wanted numbers! How much more a week, considering gas and all, would i be making?
  10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Ya, that happens about once a year....

A few times it happened and it was some guy who crossed the border 2 weeks before, AND SE HABLA NO ENGLAIS!

So, not only could he NOT communicate via radio, he couldn't read the freaking map. Sprayed 50 or so farm workers...

I don't mind them coming here and working... by all means.

But damnit, dont give them a crop duster with potentially fatal chemicals.

Ya, but working in the grape fields... I'd lose weight... hell, I've lost 15 pounds working at mcdonalds... after i took a dump today, i was under 210 :p
  11. Usually, if an applicant comes to an interview with my for a position I regard McD's experience quite highly. The staff are well trained there and they often have a well developed work ethic.

Also, grape picking isn't easy work. Its long hours and can be back breaking.

Stick with the Hamburgler.
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I'm no math genius...

can anyone figure out the actual difference in money earned with the numbers i gave? :p
  13. If you get 20 miles per gallon and assuming you'd be driving to work 5 times a week, the grape-picking job would get you $185.26 more dollars than the McDonalds job. if you don't mind the tiresome drive, go for the grape-picking job.
  14. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    What kind of work do you do? Also, what do you think of Chik-fil-a employees? Bass playing ones.
  15. um, so I was kind of bored...

Mcdonalds at $6.75/40h = $270 a week/1080 a month

8min/trip * 40 trips * (1hr/60min) = 5.33hr

40hr * 4weeks + 5.33hr = 165.33hr (per month)

3.89mi * 40(there and back 20 days) * (1gal/15mi) * ($2.23/gal) = $23.34

$1080 - $23.34 = 1056.66

$1080 / 165.33hr = $6.53/hr

Picking grapes at $8/40h = $320 a week/1280 a month

40min/trip * 40trips * (1hr/60min) = 26.67hr

40hr * 4weeks + 26.67hr = 186.67hr (per month)

28.67mi * 40(there and back 20 days) * (1gal/20mi) * ($2.25/gal) = $129.02

$1280 - $129 = $1151

$1151 / 186.67hr = $6.16/hr

There you have it. Picking grapes sucks.
  16. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Mike, as a fellow McDonalds employee, i recomend you stay there.

Your trying to tell me you can have more fun picking grapes that you can attacking fellow kitchen workers with cheese slices and ketchup? :D

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Picking grapes is no picnic. It's real work. They expect production. It ain't worth it.
  18. If it rains do you still pick grapes or stay at home. If you work outside the weather could be fine where you live and be bad when you get to the job site. Of course I've heard it never rains in some parts of California. This could be one of them.

19. You must work at Parkdale.