1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Crunchy Bass" in a pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Higgins666, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Ok, so today my band wrote a new song, & there's a section where the guitar drops out & I'm playing the guitar line. Now both my guitarist & vocalist said that the bass should sound "crunchy"... Now, my pedals can sound "growly" & "RAAAAWWRRRR" (that's an Ashdown Hyperdrive, then the Hyperdrive + a DOD FX52), so I'm looking for another distortion type pedal (or, something that I can run alongside my Hyperdrive) to sound "crunchy". Could anyone suggest something to do this? (I'm hoping to keep it relativly cheap, so Sansamp stuff, although very good, isn't really what I'm looking for, & I'm not a big fan of the Boss OBD-3)

Example Linkage Added:
    something similar to this, but with abit more bite to it.

Edit for abit more info:
    I use mostly 4 string active basses, tuned to either Eb, or drop C#

2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Can you put up some examples (youtube, etc.) of a tone you consider "crunchy?"

3. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor

Aug 6, 2008
    PDX
    Maybe borrow one (or more) of your guitar player's distortion pedals and see if any cop the sound you're looking for?

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Tech21 XXL or a Turbo RAT...

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Ding.

Barber Dirty Bomb and the Landmine are two others worth considering.

6. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    Marco (Nightwish) uses a Sansamp GT-2 which is actually a guitar pedal.

Sometimes for fun I run a stereo rig using my guitar amp with the lead gain cranked to get a pretty similar fuzzy/crunchy tone.

Try a guitar overdrive as it will boost different frequencies.

7. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    Yeah, I've had a lot of luck with my RAT clone for crunchy, aggressive bass.

8. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    That tone is easy with a GT-2.

9. Get a Sansamp Bassdriver. Great DI and can be absolutely ferocious sounding. Not necessarily distortion but one of the best overdrives I've dealt with. The ParaDriver gets more buzzy.

10. SansAmp VT Bass Pedal with the drive turned way up sounds quite a bit like those sound clips.

11. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    The Dirty Bomb does indeed saturate in a manner very similar to that.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Either a SansAmp or the TubeScreamer bass clone of your choice.
    Then there's always the old way, boost gain on your amp either with the gain pot or with a booster of sort.

13. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    BigO and Smurf,
    Have you guys used the Dirty Bomb on bass?

14. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    No, I haven't. I've used the other three I listed and am just extrapolating based on grygrx's video.

15. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    I have, yes. It wasn't what I was looking for (the Box of Metal won hands down for me). What did you want to know?

16. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    A vintage/vintage reissue RAT or a RAT clone will get you crunch on your bass every time.
    Don't go for a RAT II, as your low end will disappear, unless you want it to.

The RAT is VERY dirty beast.

17. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I'm a Barber fanboi :p just wondering. It wasn't really on my radar anyway...

Ry,
    I've never used a RAT or any derivatives on bass. The low end retention is acdeptable on the vintage/reisue?

18. Right, so I'll be going to Music Live this year, so I should be able to get some stuff cheaper (gotta love show prices) I'll definatly be keeping an eye out for either Barber or Tech21 (the Dirty Bomb & XXL look/sound VERY tempting). If neither of them are there, then I'll be taking a Ratt out for a spin, thinking about the Ratt, how does the Digitech Bass Driver fair at imitating the Ratt sound (believe it or not, in all three of my local shops, they don't have any bass specific distortion type pedal, apart from the Boss & Behringer clone)

19. Pitbull Growl

Pitbull Growl

Jan 6, 2009
    NNJ/NYC
    For crunchy, I use an Animato (rat based) and a Valvedrive in parallel. loads of crunch, and the VD helps bring my lows back into the picture.

The Dirty Bomb is pretty nice too, but for me it seems like the tonestack is a li'l off... more geared towards guitar. (bear in mind I usually play 5 strings tuned to A Standard tho.)

Another way to go might be an English Muff'n. Load it w/some 12AX7's and it'll crunch like a bowl of grapenuts.

20. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    fulltone bassdrive in compcut boost mode gets pretty close to that for me, otherwise the tech 21 xxl will go even further