Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crunchy Bass Wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ishmael_the_god, Jul 30, 2002.

1. I just picked up a brand-new Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah. Unfortunately, as I push down on the pedal, I get this crackle-static noise. It happens about a third of the way from back to front (bass to treble). I opened up the case and cleaned everything I could reach. I even put a little extra lubricant in there to make it swivel smoothly. The static noise is still there.

Does anyone know what is causing that and if there is a simple way to fix it? It seems like a minor problem that should be fixable with duct-tape or something. Any help would be great. Thanks!!

2. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Sounds like a bad potentiometer, the electrical whatsit that gets rotated by the stepping motion of the pedal (like your volume knobs, they're the same thing except they don't have a gear on the post to mesh with the pedal). I'd take it back where you got it and see if you can exchange it.

3. The pot may just need to be cleaned with some contact cleaner. Since you just got it, take it back to wherever you bought it and see if they will do the job for you.

4. Ouch. OK - I got it off ebay. It was in perfect condition, still in the plastic, but therefore no where to take it back. I might try a little contact cleaner.

Truthfully, it's not that great of a pedal. I think I might just trade it on something better. Thanks for the help, though.