Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crunchy distortion!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cliff em'All, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Cliff em'All

Cliff em'All

Sep 27, 2004
    Well In my quest for crunchy metal guitar like distortion i have yet to find it. I currently have a big muff which i am not too pleased with . So I either want to get a tonebone , guv'nor or english muff'n . when it comes to getting that crunch guitar sound which pedal do you think would suit me best? any other recomendations . Any sound clips?

thanks alot

2. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    Don't have a soundclip, but my Boss Metal Zone (MT-2) does a great job on my ADG strings. I get a brutal metal rhythm guitar distortion with power chords. Unfortunately, there is some low frequency roll off as you go to the lower strings. Definitely good when you want to "out-metal" your guitar player.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Guv'nor would probably be the closest. An English Muff'n is similar to a Muff, so I don't see that you'd like that.

4. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    tonebone could fit the game,but wayyy to expensive

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Someone here really digs his Radial. Must be good. :bassist:

6. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    IN fact, I tried it yesterday again but on a crappy amp, So I need to test it in real situation, with fresh strings

7. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    how 'bout that Fulltone Bassdrive

8. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    In the other recommendations category...

I use a SansAmp GT2 ...

Gets very nasty :D

SM

9. as big a fan i am of my guv'nor and the modded brassmaster i built, homebrew electronics big-d is still the most awesome distortion pedal IMO...i hear HBE has a bass overdrive in the works...interesting...

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've been able to pull some heavy sounds out of my snas amp tri-ac. No wasp in a tin can sounds though, so if that's what you mean you won't like it.

11. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Guv'nor should do the trick... i have a Fulltone Bass Drive but find the Guv'nor does the crunch thing better. Fulltone is more of a smooth OD.

12. The tech21/sansamp bass xxl is a cool distortion. Very chainsaw, (somewhat ratlike) but tons more tweakable and as much lows as you want. I also use a guv'nor in my chain and max out the eq on it. The guv is more distinct and brutal while the xxl is obease and chainsaw. Hope that made sense and/or helped.
    -eric